My day in the shop

Thats the same one I have. I use to sharpen bits by hand with good results, but this baby makes them better than new. There is a "feel" when using this tool, for the guys that don't like em, try it again. If you want to get years of service out of the collets and tool, blow them out often with shop air, keep the abrasive grit from the plastic contact points.

I must be one of the clueless ones as I have one (750 model) and never felt the results cut as good as doing it free hand on the bench grinder. It works ok on the small bits that are hard to do manually but not so much on bigger bits (any size above 1/4"). If there is a secret to it I'm all ears. If you were closer I'd come over and get schooled but currently I'm a bit too far away for that.

Dan,
The single most important thing is step one. Indexing the bit properly to the two tangs evenly, then securing the bit to the collet without misalignment of previous step.
Sharpening is done in even number of rotations nice and smooth until you have nice even grind on both cutting faces. As you rotate the collet, the lobes will change the geometry so don't be heavy handed. The last step (split facing) also requires a feel, go gently as the grinding wheel is cutting at the top edge and over cutting (past center) can quickly result.
I hope this makes sense. The drill doctor works very well.

I must be one of the clueless ones as I have one (750 model) and never felt the results cut as good as doing it free hand on the bench grinder. It works ok on the small bits that are hard to do manually but not so much on bigger bits (any size above 1/4"). If there is a secret to it I'm all ears. If you were closer I'd come over and get schooled but currently I'm a bit too far away for that.

Darex is in Ashland just off I-5. If you are ever in that area I'm sure they would give you a lesson and a tour of their plant, and probably a free hat.

Or, stop by here and I'll show you. I don't use the split point feature very much because I usually start my holes with a center drill.

I found this video on youtube. I have the 750 SP (old one) that has worked well over the years.
. The set up information starts at 3:59 on video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back