My dream machine- coming true!

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Ok Friendly Machinist Folks-

I have barely been keeping bottled up for a whole frickin week, that by sheer luck, by the fortune of good people in the world, one eye on Craigslist, and sheer desperation on my part, I have finagled an almost pristine, fully loaded with tooling, 1965 4 foot floor model Heavy Ten! And I am picking it up tomorrow!

I never dreamt I would have EVER been able to acquire such a beautiful machine as this. He included all his accessories- center and follow rests, really nice chucks, turret tailstock!, QCTP, full set of SB Collets, all kinds of cutters and indexable tools, I haven't even gone through yet.

I am only actually putting out a few hundred dollars, my old beater 10L (which I love, but can't miss this this opportunity!), some other small machines I don't want, and some future labor/favors. :)

I have barely slept this week.

I will surely post pictures of the move, although I it will be pretty straightforward.

The guy I am buying it from is a great guy, and I live pretty close to him, so I told him he can come use it any time. I really hope he does.

I hope you guys can help me learn to take proper care of a truly lovely machine. I will be asking!
Let's see if I can successfully attach pics here, from when I went back to measure it for the move..

HOLY CRAP!!

Bernie

The thing is barely dirty! Turret tailstock too! Mint!
ydu9ypy9.jpg

Hand scrape marks on the compound and crosslide!!
u8y9yja2.jpg

Cool micrometer stop mount I asked about here last week- I hadn't seen one before:
y2e8ytem.jpg

Last edited:
Very, VERY nice! Almost showroom! You'll enjoy just staring at that one for a while. And hate getting it dirty for the first time.

That's cool, I love it when people get blessed like that, I know you'll enjoy it!

Dwayne

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah, that looks like a pretty good deal.

:roflmao:

Remind me not to negotiate with you. Very nice score!

Thanks so much guys! My world really came together to make this possible.

I just want to do some good work on it to justify it coming to me! I'll be moving it this afternoon. A beautiful spring day to move a machine!

Bernie

You bet it is a dream machine, It looks as though it was just out of South Bend's works -- Enjoy.

Dang, Bernie ... you suck!!!!

Your Karma is so good - enjoy your awesome lathe.

Congratulations and good luck on your move. Make sure the straps are tight and easy over the bumps! :goodjob:

I can see it now. What do mean "driving to slow for conditions" Officer?? :roflmao::roflmao:

Ron

Thanks so much guys!

Not many pics because the guys failing health put us in a bit of a rush to get out, but I can tell you this-

I kept the lathe in one piece because he has a really incredible rubber synthetic belt.

This floor model lathe is incredibly heavy compared to my bench model 10L machine. If you can believe it, I have the whole headstock end sitting on one 1000 pound rated U-Haul dolly I rented for seven dollars! Incredibly strong!

My friend and I used come alongs To get it up into the trailer, and we strapped the crap out of it, Still sitting on the dollies. The trailer has grooves on the floor and is holding the dollies in place left-right. (Pics below)

Now just a safe drive home and a downhill slope to my nice flat garage shop!

Funny thing is, as I'm driving I can see my friend in the car behind me through that big spindle hole of the lathe!! Hyah hah hah!

by2y3ede.jpg

hanyzyte.jpg

Back