My Logan 12x24 lathe project

Well now I really screwed up...

Thought I'd do a little paint touch up after reading some other threads on here, didn't like the results so I've torn everything back down again and started painting. I was really trying to avoid that, as I don't want a museum piece that I'm afraid to get a chip on. I compromised on it though, no stripping, just some scuff/sand to deal with the bigger chips and give the old paint some tooth then new over it.

Some results...

DSCN7027_zps88403532.jpg

DSCN7028_zps1276950f.jpg

DSCN7029_zps2aa360e3.jpg

Saddle is off now and in process along with all of the back/side covers on the head. Pics to follow.

I was wondering if you were going to paint it, It is looking a lot better now.

Paul

Looks like you'll have a really nice machine when it's all done. Nice job!

Thats some nice machinery you got there! I like that style taper attachment. It appears to be like the Heavy 10 taper attachment in that you can just tighten it up and start cutting a taper without having to mess with disconnecting the cross slide screw. Very nice!
Bob

Apron gearbox is all back together... fresh paint, replaced a couple fasteners that were obviously not original.

Before (ya I know it's upside down, makes it like the after though)

666bafdc-5e5d-4a0a-8279-a89b009bb4bd_zps64483931.jpg

DSC04199_zps867e0301.jpg

A little paint does wonders! Good job, looks a lot better with a little paint.

Thanks for all the good words guys, it's gratifying to see others appreciate what you've done.

Now for my next trick... the disassembly/clean/paint of the quick change box. As you can see in the photos, the wood dust in this thing is just pervasive, which isn't really surprising given it was in the PO's wood shop for 8 years (sitting in the corner not running). I found a couple things wrong that I'll have to fix, the shaft the handles run on is somewhat buggered up, and one of the 22 tooth gears in the handles is missing its cast in "key" that runs in the shaft. Priced the parts already from Logan... not cheap but at least I can still get them unlike some of the other older lathes. I'm trying to decide how to paint the front at the moment, the grooves leading up to where the handles lock in obviously take some abuse so I may polish those areas up a little and leave them bare.

Pics...

DSC04219_zps5cd48807.jpg

DSC04201_zpsfa1ee9a1.jpg

DSC04213_zps3810fc52.jpg

Not a great deal of wear. For my two cents of suggestion (please feel free to ignore as you deem fit) - I like your idea of polishing the groove tracks for the levers. I removed my threading chart by gently hitting the drive brads with a flat round punch. I tapped the casting for small (#5?) screws and replaced the drive brads with small brass screws. I locktited those just for safety,\.
Geoff

The gearbox looks pretty good, I've seen far worse, mine was dirtier. The fact that you can get new parts for your machine is pretty cool, saves a lot of time. If I was going to tear the gear box down I might just go ahead and replace the bushings while I was in there, especially if I could just order them up. I am enjoying watching what you are doing to this lathe.

Back