My New (Big) Fly Cutter

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I do have a 2.5" facemill which I use a lot but I also like fly cutters as they give a better surface finish (IMO). The FM can hog out more material than a fly cutter though.

On my project list was to make a fly cutter that will cover up to 6". I didn't want to make a big conventional styl fly cutter with a long cutter hanging out, I'd like to keep my body parts intact while I'm alive. Well I came across one very similar to what I had in mind to make. It's shop made but not by me.

With it, I got 2 other fly cutters for not much more. I don't own any other fly cutters myself so I figured why not. They are all made of 1045 & have 3/4" shanks. I have only tested the big one as that's the only one I cared about.

Well, they weren't as nice as I hoped them to be. For the smaller ones, the body to shank weren't as concentric as I would have liked. No big deal really as they are fly cutters but I was able to fix that up myself so I'm still happy with my purchase. Knowing what I know now after purchasing them, I probably wouldn't have bought them again but it did save me a lot of time not having to make them myself.

Here's what I got.
Img_0942.jpg

Img_0956.jpg

The big one is 5" dia & can easily cover over 6". It holds 2 tool bits. I'm not actually using 2 bits for cutting though, I only installed the other one there for balancing & it's set higher than the other so only one is actually cutting.
Img_0944.jpg

Test cut right out the box using the China C5 tool bits it came with on 6061. Finish is not bad considering I'm using C5 & I did not touch up the cutting edge or anything. Could be a lot better that's for sure.
Img_0953.jpg

Img_0947.jpg

The big cutter is heavy, I don't like the straight shank on it so I'll be converting to to R8. I also have a new tool bit coming. I'll post an update here.

Img_0942.jpg

Img_0956.jpg

Img_0944.jpg

Img_0953.jpg

Img_0947.jpg

looks good. was that a 1 off or is it for sale some where.

I got it from ebay seller tmkr-1916. Looks like they list them one at a time as the package I purchased is not up right now.

The 3 that I got were like $134 or something buy it now. I got it for the minimum bid of $99. They do sell just the big cutter with an R8 shank for $118, min bid $89. So figured for $10 more, might as well get the 2 other small ones. They even sell a bigger one for $169 (min $125) but that's way more than I wanted to spend & too big for me anyway.

That is one huge fly cutter!!!! Just the weight alone would help power through a tough cut, do you think it will be prone to picking up vibration from such a huge swept area? I can't imagine ever needing anything that large, but at least I know where to find one of I do. Thanks for the tool drool!!! Just gotta get a napkin to wipe it all off the keyboard now.
Bob

Haha, thanks Bob! I did have slight chatter at the end of one pass. But I'm not sure if that was cause the set screws for the tool bit was loose or cause I only had 1 tool bit in it for that pass. I hope it was the latter as I wouldn't want a tool bit flying out! I think I'm going to slot my new tool bit when I get it so it can't fly out.

With only 1 tool bit I can feel a slight vibration & is why I installed the second one. With the second tool bit installed it runs very smooth. I don't have a BP style mill so I'm sure it would do fine on a bigger knee mill. The piece I'm facing is 5"x7" and it faced the whole thing pretty nicely.

Got my R8 arbor yesterday, today I machined it to fit the big fly cutter. I used a boring head arbor.

Here's the stock 3/4" straight arbor & the new R8 arbor. The thread for the fly cutter is 15/16"-16 & the boring head arbor is 1-1/2"-18. The R8 arbor is hardened, but not that hard, so it took some time to get it down to size. Good thing is I'll be left with a large mounting flange which should add more rigidity, although it was fine with the straight shank.
Img_0972.jpg

Turned down, recessed the flange, single pointed the OD thread, & tapped the internal thread.
Img_0983.jpg

Img_0994.jpg

Img_1003.jpg

Excellent fit with about 1/2 a thou run out. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.
Img_0997.jpg

Img_1016.jpg

Img_1013.jpg

Img_1027.jpg

My new tool bit & inserts should be here Tues. Can't wait to test it out!

Img_0972.jpg

Img_0983.jpg

Img_0994.jpg

Img_1003.jpg

Img_0997.jpg

Img_1016.jpg

Img_1013.jpg

Img_1027.jpg

Nice job on the arbor. I have a couple of old Harley crank wheels I'm thinking about making fly cutters out of for cylinder head cutting. Mike

look up myfordboy.com he is in england. he shows how to make a neat fly cutter any size you want

Update (sorry I got caught up with other work):

Got my indexable tool holders & I'm very happy with the results!

I went with SCLCL holders & some generic CCMT 21.52 C2 uncoated inserts.
Img_1038.jpg

The Micro100 one is 5/16" so I had to mill it down to 1/4" to fit the smallest fly cutter.
Img_1050.jpg

The TMX one is 3/8" so no need to mill it down but I did need to shorten it to fit the large fly cutter. Also made a dummy shank out of 1018 to fit the opposite side for counterbalancing which works great.
Img_1070.jpg

Also picked up a cheap SRDCN holder that uses RCMT 6mm round inserts. I have alumn specific RCGT inserts already so I figured I try them also. Also shortened the shank so it would fit the large fly cutter if I wanted.
Img_1061.jpg

The small & medium size fly cutters.
Img_1099.jpg

Yeah, yeah, I know, enough already & onto the results.

The large fly cutter with CCMT 21.52 insert.
Img_1062.jpg

Img_1065.jpg

Img_1067.jpg

And the medium size fly cutter with RCGT insert.
Img_1090.jpg

Img_1097.jpg

As you can see I'm pretty happy with the results. I think I can get a better finish with the round inserts if I mess with speeds & feeds. The CCMT inserts seem to cut more freely though & I think I'll stick with CCMT on the large fly cutter.

That's the end of my fly cutter saga & searches. Thanks for looking.

I just did some fly cutting for the first time. Mine came with my mill and is pretty small (uses 1/4 tool bits)
I had acceptable results. I really like the ones you show that use a carbide insert tool bit. Looks like you had a much better surface finish than I did. I may have to look into one of those.

Back