My PM-1236 Precision arrived today

Z2V

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Well, my lathe arrived as scheduled today.

IMG_3756.JPG
Umm, I don't like this.
IMG_3756.JPG IMG_3758.JPG IMG_3759.JPG IMG_3760.JPG IMG_3761.JPG IMG_3762.JPG
The pallet was pretty beat up. Looks like it was maybe dropped. Outside of a several scratches I have not found any major damage yet.
IMG_3771.JPG IMG_3770.JPG IMG_3769.JPG IMG_3766.JPG
IMG_3768.JPG IMG_3767.JPG
Anyway, I need to get this out of the center of my garage so I can put the cars in this evening.
I'm by myself so I use what I have available.
IMG_3774.JPG IMG_3777.JPG IMG_3778.JPG IMG_3779.JPG IMG_3780.JPG
I used my four post car lift and four ratchet straps to put it together.
Now I need to get it out from under the lift so I can park the cars.
IMG_3781.JPG IMG_3782.JPG IMG_3783.JPG IMG_3784.JPG
Well, mission accomplished, but, what's missing? The damn drip pan!!!!!
It was leaning against the wall behind me and in my haste to get this together tonight, well, I forgot to put it in.
I get the dummy of the day award!!!!
Putting the pieces together was a cake walk, getting it moved over to the side was a different story. I had to put sheet metal under the heavy end to get it to move, otherwise the back side would just dig into the floor.

I guess I'll have a full day ahead of me tomorrow. I think I will put power to it and quickly check operation before I do much more. I have the pipe run just need to mount the disconnect and pull about 20' of wire and terminate.

One thing that threw me for a loop. The cover latch on the gearbox door.
IMG_3785.JPG IMG_3786.JPG
Looks like the typical push and lift latch. The door won't open. I opened the spindle cover and took a peek. Well, the wire for the micro switch on the door was wrapped around the latch but this is what threw me a curve ball,
IMG_3788.JPG
Having to twist the latch to unlock the door.

All put up for the night, lots more to come.
I'm beat!!
IMG_3790.JPG

Head down, getting work done. That's how to do it, Just sometime your reminded your not 25 anymore....

Reactions: Z2V
No doubt about that!!

Congrats, Jeff! Beautiful lathe you got there. Looking forward to your reviews, buddy!

Congratulations! I got my PM1236 earlier this year. I'm extremely pleased with it.

Awesome - I am envious and will watch the thread with great interest.

Thanks guys
I got the power hooked up and gave it a spin. I also set up the brake, coolant pump, back splash and shroud between the bases. I have a date with the wife tomorrow so might not get to the drip pan,. I have it pretty close to where it will be now but I'll have to drag it back under the lift to put the pan in. Shouldn't be too bad, it's only 1400 lbs
Then clean, level, and start cutting
IMG_3793.JPG

More latter

Sleddog

Did you get the cast iron base with yours?

Maybe rent or borrow an engine hoist to lift the lathe for the chip pan? Might be another option to pulling it back into the center of the garage and back. (you can use mine if you want to come to Kansas to get it :big grin: !)

I have a 3' pry bar with a 90* that fits in the pockets at the bottom of the base where the anchors or leveling feet go. I discovered this evening that I can move it about 2" at a time by rocking the bar in these pockets. Shouldn't be too bad but many thanks for the suggestion!
IMG_1391.JPG

We'll see. I doubt I'll get to it until Monday.

Back