My Precision Mathews PM1340GT Arrival

OK, following up after a long weekend of getting it completely up and running.

First off, Friday evening I noticed a large amount of black dust/particles coming from under the headstock/motor end of the lathe. I removed the cover to discover the belt had pretty much self destructed. I was not totally surprised by this as on my last machine the belts were one of the first parts I replaced as well and found the machine to be a completely new sounding and feeling machine. The belt on the PM1340GT originally appeared to be a decent looking belt, however, after only approx. 2 hours on it while breaking it in and running it for 5 minutes here and there it was toast.

I called my local NAPA and had them cross the part number off of the old belt over. They got one in for me within a couple of hours. I replaced the belt with NAPA part # 5L280W. The "W" is for heavy duty.
xm3dxx.jpg

Here is what the OEM belt looked like after approx. 2 hours of total run time.
245ajiv.jpg

After replacing with new belt.
2ujibo1.jpg

I confirmed the pulleys were aligned properly prior to running the machine at all and also re-confirmed that everything was in proper alignment when I detected the belt issue. I also double checked again after installing the new belt. The PM1340GT is a very quiet and smooth running lathe, however, after installing the new belt it was even quieter.

I then commenced checking all of the preliminary tests to ensure the lathes' setup and accuracy after traveling half way around the world. I started by checking the chucks and the repeatability as far as swapping chucks on and off of the spindle. I noted the position for the 3-jaw and my 6-jaw so when swapping them around I can be assured the accuracy is repeatable. I stamped a 3 and a 6 in the spindle to orientate either chuck. The original 3-jaw I was able to get to repeat within .0005" each time. Especially once I did a thorough cleaning of the inside of the chuck and the nose of the spindle taper. My Gator 6-jaw set-tru I was able to repeat at approx. .0006" in about 4 times of removal and installation.
kf5h6g.jpg

2mmwcol.jpg

2j2ge3r.jpg

Just want ahead and left my Gator 6-jaw on it for now.
20uadyg.jpg

Once I got the chucks completed I turned a piece of 1.5" aluminum 7" long to check headstock squareness and ensure it is parallel with the bed.

My first chips, facing a piece of 1.5" 60601 aluminum.
15o7y48.jpg

Next turning approx. 7 inches.
2enao13.jpg

Once I got it cleaned up I took a light cut of about .004" and took a reading with a micrometer. Started @ .0021" in 7" length.
11rx8bp.jpg

I just barely "tweaked" the outboard adjustment bolt on the back of the headstock and took another light cut of approx. .004". Ended dead nuts on in 7 inches.
no9hua.jpg

Making my test bar to check alignment.
9r3nmw.jpg

hufwc1.jpg

s3pw6o.jpg

9an1io.jpg

2ihm9hz.jpg

Boring the ID.
2hxppxk.jpg

Shooting for about .0015" interference fit.
2yln239.jpg

Parting off @ .875" wide.
fon6ew.jpg

Parts waiting to be pressed together.
207p0gm.jpg

Test bar completed and ready for use.
2vtb0on.jpg

Light cut on both rings. Tailstock end.
2j0fhac.jpg

Headstock end.
2q1ymx2.jpg

Dial indicator on tailstock to measure movement.
b6bl1h.jpg

Final measurement at headstock end.
2q1ymx2.jpg

Tailstock end. Not bad, .0001" in 14". I'll take it.
amazva.jpg

My mess/chips from a few hours of machining. Now the lathe is set up and ready to go to work. I will change the oil in the next day or two and it will be ready to roll.
2u94fnr.jpg

I also decided to go out yesterday and make a few modifications to fit my needs/wants. I had always wanted to fabricate a toolholder rack for my previous machine but never got around to it. I thought if I don't do it now, I probably won't so I took a few hours yesterday and customized my machine.

I cut some Unistrut and some aluminum pieces to construct a rack to hold my Aloris BXA toolholders. This will be mounted to the top of the backsplash providing easy reach and quick tool changes.
15ge8pk.jpg

Mocked up on the bench.
htvdjk.jpg

Unistrut mounted on the top of the backsplash.
105xtl4.jpg

Toolholders mounted.
25hmgqe.jpg

I also decided to fabricate a place to store my "T" handles where they were within easy reach yet out of the way. I cut some 1" OD 4130 chromoly tube that I had lying around and TIG welded them to a couple of 1" wide straps.
5nokgm.jpg

Thanks to Will (aka Darkzero) for doing the legwork and finding some paint that matches very closely to the PM equipment.
sq38ea.jpg

Here is the part # from Rustoleum if anyone else needs it.
k4drhk.jpg

Painted and mounted to the back of the headstock. I used existing screws from the electrical box.
15zlhs7.jpg

This is what she looked like at the end of the weekend. Ready for a long life of hard work.
2jg9rv5.jpg

I will post up some more thoughts/opinions as I get a few more hours on it.

Mike.

2q1ymx2.jpg

Mike,

Holly crap, that is so cool, do you mind if I copy all of your set up? When my lathe grow up it want to be just like yours.....

Danny

Mike,

Holly crap, that is so cool, do you mind if I copy all of your set up? When my lathe grow up it want to be just like yours.....

Danny

Thanks Danny. No I don't mind one bit, that's why I posted up the pics. As far as the toolholder rack, I honestly cannot take credit for that. I was researching it a few months ago and stumbled across a video on youtube that showed it. Can't remember who it was but I liked it and decided to copy it. I hated how I had the ones on my previous lathe sitting in the chip tray and having to clean around them afterwards.

This should be much more user friendly and definitely easier to clean up around. I can have the entire lathe cleaned in less than 5-minutes now by having items up and out of the way.

Mike.

5 minute cleanup? I'm either too messy or slow at cleaning. I can't get it done in 30. :thinking:

The machine looks great.

Dave

Did PM reimburse you for the belt?

No. However, I did not ask. Had I requested a new belt from Matt, I am sure he would replace it but I don't want the same thing on there. Honestly that was a good $14.00 spent on a name brand, quality v-belt.

5 minute cleanup? I'm either too messy or slow at cleaning. I can't get it done in 30. :thinking:

The machine looks great.

Dave

Maybe I exagerated a slight bit. It may be closer to 10-minutes but definitely no longer than that. I pull out the large pieces/shavings with my chip hook while placing the garbage can directly under the chip tray. I then grab the shop-vac and suck up the small particles. Grab a shop rag and wipe the cutting oil off of the backsplash/trip tray. Then as a last ditch effort for chip removal is to hit the chip tray with a slight amount of compressed air prior to sweeping up the floor. Hell, it probably too me longer to type it than to actually clean up.

I have always tried to keep my machining/fabricating equipment clean because I hate working in a messy shop. However, I will admit on my last lathe, there were times that I didn't clean up one mess before I started the next. I have made a conscious decision to NOT do that with my new equipment.

Fantastic job Mike. Well done! :greenwithenvy::drink:

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Mike.

That is a great looking machine and a nice write-up, too! I hope you will do a similar one when your mill comes in. Its cool watching people get their new machines and seeing how they set them up...never seem to get tired of it. Congrats, dude!

Thats a great looking setup mike! Im gonna have to adopt some (all) of those ideas. I really like my PM1236, though I wish the overhang on the TS was on the HS end like all others Ive seen. Other than that, its perfect, other than the operator of course... Have fun, I think that machine will serve you well.

Richard

Back