My Precision Mathews PM1340GT Arrival

Mike,

Thanks for your help, I got it up and going now, I just didnt press the reset switch in far enough.

Danny

Awesome Danny. Glad to hear that. Whatcha think so far of it?

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I posted this up in the POTD thread but thought I would also put a link to it here because technically I was checking accuracy of the PM1340GT while machining a tool.

Rather than duplicating the post, here is a link to some information regarding the accuracy and my findings while making some cuts last night.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=14637&page=67&p=222318#post222318

It is post # 1988 on page 67 of Project of the Day.

I also recorded a short video last night of the PM1340GT demonstrating how quiet and smooth this machine is. I was boring to a shoulder and demonstrated how easily and precise you can come up against a soft stop and how easy it is to engage/disengage the carriage and repeat this time and time again.

I have never posted up a video before so bear with me as I set up a youtube account and figure out how to upload my video to it.

Mike.

Finally got a chance to read through. Nice work on the PM. I may be mooching some of your excellent ideas. Nice machine - can't wait to get mine up and going. My other lathe is usually tied up with the setup for the fittings a sell, so it'll be nice to run some projects like you did over on POTD.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to read through. Nice work on the PM. I may be mooching some of your excellent ideas. Nice machine - can't wait to get mine up and going.

Thanks Chris. No problem on using some ideas, mooch away. I wish I could take credit for most of them but I saw many of them elsewhere and copied them myself.

I guess you know what they say, "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery." Well I imitated the hell out of some of those ideas.

Make sure to post up pictures though, that is the only stipulation.:)) Make certain to take close ups as well as wide angle shots, I love looking at your shop.

Mike.

Ok guys, go easy on me here. I have NEVER done a video and just started a youtube account so I am treading in unknown territory here.

I have been asked by a few members to do a video, however, this is not an all encompassing review. I was just doing a quick job last night and was performing the nerve racking task of boring into a shoulder so I thought I would do a quick video to demonstrate how smooth and quiet the Precision Mathews PM1340GT is and how smooth the lever engagement/disengagement is on the carriage which greatly promotes repeatability.

I will hopefully do a few more videos on various tasks as they pop up, providing I don't make too big a fool of myself with this one.

Mike.

Here is the short video of the PM1340GT.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1kIZuOeNopk

Ok guys, go easy on me here. I have NEVER done a video and just started a youtube account so I am treading in unknown territory here.

Well, it's got a beat, but I can't dance to it so I'm giving it an 8.5.

Seriously, though, it looks pretty cool in action. Matt told me he's sold out and now I'll have to wait until the end of November as the small incoming October batch was sold to a school. I'll be deciding at the end of the month whether to order one. Guess I can practice my patience until then.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan. If you can at all swing it, I highly recommend it. For the money I think it is a very high quality lathe. The more I use it the more I am impressed with it.

Mike.

Nicely done video. Machine sounds very tight and smooth. Took 6 minutes to watch thanks to bandwidth issues lol.

Nicely done video. Machine sounds very tight and smooth. Took 6 minutes to watch thanks to bandwidth issues lol.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate that. I have had a few requests to do a full video review of the lathe so I may try to fumble my way through another video and try to give an overview of the machine.

I know when I was looking there were quite a few videos of the Grizzly machines and even a few of the Eisen but absolutely nothing for the PM1340GT from Precision Mathews other than a minute and a half video on youtube that showed Matt walking it through it's paces and directional changes.

Just as an FYI, I don't want anyone to think that I am getting any kind of kickback or "perks" from doing these reviews, that is very, very far from the truth. I have been so frustrated over the time it took to get and I still haven't seen my mill but all of that aside, I want to give an honest overview of the machine because I have been asked my opinions by several people.

I have absolutely no connection to Quality Machine Tools whatsoever, I am merely trying to provide information to assist those who are looking at this machine and to help them in their decision making process. This is a lot of money to spend and the more information the better.

Mike.

I'm like you - thinking about the next person to come along looking for a particular machine. Just like to leave some better info around to help people sort things out. Best we can do because I think the search is kinda always going to be like you saw - little bit here, little bit there, little bit from 2005 that no longer applies, cuss fight about Brand X/China, etc. Very few posts out there that are just "I bought this, this is what was in the box, here's what I see, how it seems to run".

Back