[Newbie] Need Help getting my ATW Lathe going, Oil and Electrical

JeffEck

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a 1953 American Pacemaker Lathe 16"x54" The manual calls for High-Grade Machine Oil viscosity 275-290 seconds saybolt at 100degress F. Later for the apron and carriage it specifies an oil for high film strength Socony Vaccum Heavy Medium "X" or equivalent. I have some experience running a lathe as I was taught to run the Rockwell 14" when I was 8 years old, but I have not turned this one on yet. I'm more than open for any advice anyone has. I'd like to get this lathe cleaned up and see how good it is.

Side Note: I'm also trying to figure out how to power this beast. It's 10hp, 3phase. The guy I got it from said he ran it on the static converter that is with it, but I count too many wires (5) to plug into 220v... I'm trying to get a photo of the stuff under the cover that is supposed to be electrical, but it is older than me by several decades ;) I have some experience with 3 phase as I have generated it with a 3 phase motor to run my 5hp Cincinnati press brake and my 3hp mill. The first was 5hp to run a 3hp mill and currently a 10hp to run my 5hp Cincinnati Press Brake and 3hp Mill. I have acquired a 30hp 3phase motor for generation and I have a few good 3 phase disconnect fused panels. I'll post some photos when I figure out how to post them on this forum.

Jeff... I cannot help you with your problem BUT I can welcome you to The Hobby-Machinist...
There are many talented and knowledgeable people here and I'm sure someone will help you.
Again... Welcome.

Welcome to H-M, Jeff. Are you asking for modern equivalents of those oil specifications, just commenting on your new old lathe, and/or something else?

What is the modern or what oil would you put in the machine would be the questions? The level gauge in the headstock looks low as well as the apron. When I get the layers of gunk off it, I want to have the correct lubricants on and in it.

I think I have figured out how to do the photos. The panel1 photo has the wires on the cord labeled by color. I have to correct an error, 4 wires on the cord not 5.

Panel.jpg

Transformer.jpg

Panel1.jpg

cord.jpg

4 wires on the cord not 5

That's better.
They could be; 2 for the 220V, one for the centre-tap(120V to each of the first two) and one for ground.
Does the machine have something that needs 120V (oil pump, coolant pump, etc.)

There's not quite enough detail in the picture to tell for sure.....other than the green wire to the box for ground.
That transformer label says "Wiring information on inside cover", have you looked for more info?

-brino

I am going to open that panel next, there is a coolant pump on the end as well. When I stop working in a bit I will get that photo taken and get it on here.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/
For the Saybolt equivalent it looks like ISO68 hydraulic oil (AW68) would work for you. ISO46 actually fits the viscosity a little better, but is more difficult to find. The difference is minor, and your shop temperature conditions might be worth thinking about. In very hot climates you would want the ISO68 and in very cold climates you might even want to use ISO32 oil. For the carriage I would use something like Vactra #2 way oil. Lathes are pretty simple machines, just put something appropriate in there, keep the level up to the mark and change it at regular intervals.

Of course, an American Pacemaker is a very fine lathe, so take GOOD care of it... Congratulations!

AW46 is $25/5gal at Atwoods near me, might have to go see if they have any in stock. Looks like TSC has it for a bit more, but they show it in stock in all the local stores. Any idea on how many gallons fills this thing? I couldn't find anything on capacity anywhere.

Back