Need help replacing ball joints

geekwithoutacause

Registered
Registered
Hi all !
Great info on here !
I recently got the HF 20 ton 60603 press.
I did my (partial ) first job with it, press in a balljoint. It worked very well ! Thing didn't break a sweat. but.....
The balljoint is off of an f250 Superduty. The knuckle is off the truck and has 2 balljoints. a lower and an upper. Both balljoints point upwards. I was able to rest the knuckle on the 2 plates and push from the top (thru the opening for the 2nd balljoint) down onto the lower balljoint. All went well.. But now I need to press in the top one. I do not want to press on the top because the knuckle will then bear the pressure and I am not sure that is correct. I can not hang the knuckle in between the lower bridge of the press. The knuckle is too big for that. If I hang it over the side, the knuckle isn't centered enough to get the press above it.
What I really need is the lower bridge in a narrow version of it. This way the knuckle can just hang down from it. Anyone have any ideas on how to fabricate that? Any alternatives ?
Here is a video of a guy doing the same job on very similar knuckles. But.. he presses the top one in in a way that puts way too much pressure on the knuckle I think.

Thanks all !

You need to make a threaded two piece spacer tube to put between the flanges.

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?

You need a support tube to go between the two flanges to prevent collapsing. The tube needs to be adjustable to get a tight fit. You can use two threaded tubes (pipe) or a bolt and a tube. Once installed, you can just put the knuckle on the press plates and press from the top down without collapsing the upper flange. You'll need to be a little creative and some time to make your tooling.

You need a support tube to go between the two flanges to prevent collapsing. The tube needs to be adjustable to get a tight fit. You can use two threaded tubes (pipe) or a bolt and a tube. Once installed, you can just put the knuckle on the press plates and press from the top down without collapsing the upper flange. You'll need to be a little creative and some time to make your tooling.

Ok, I see what you mean. So the tube would sit in between the lower balljoint and the upper balljoint. And by it being adjustable I can squeeze it in between the socket over the lower balljoint and the underside of the top of the knuckle. The upper balljoint presses in flush.
Great idea ! Now I need to find the parts. I think I can do it.
Many thanks from a shop press rookie !

Randy, what if I put a bottle jack in between ? jack it up tight ?

Randy, what if I put a bottle jack in between ? jack it up tight ?

Anything to take the press force off of the knuckle will work. You might have a hard time fitting a bottle jack in. Good Luck.

Anything to take the press force off of the knuckle will work. You might have a hard time fitting a bottle jack in. Good Luck.

Ok, you have a good point there. Going to try to find some threaded pipes. Home depot?

I guess a piece of threaded rod, put a nut with washers on it. then a smooth piece of pipe on top of it.. Yeah, I think that should work.
If the pipe fits smoothly over the threaded rod it should be pretty strong. Maybe a couple nuts on it.

Ok, you have a good point there. Going to try to find some threaded pipes. Home depot?

Yeah, any where they sell plumbing supplies. You'll probably need a coupling to get your adjustment. A threaded pipe cut to length and a coupling for adjustment.

Hey Geek, You live in a neat place.

Back