Need Help! Starrett 12" Machinist Level Problem

brav65

Active User
Registered
Hey guys I just picked up a 12" Starrett machinist level on eBay. In the pictures it looked perfect. I reviewed them carefully to see why the price was so reasonable, $129.00 I bought it and it came in today. Well the one corner that was not shown in the pictures is damaged (see picture below). My question is can this be fixed? If it can what would the best way to attack the repair?

image.jpg

As much as you want a perfect level, I think I would file or stone any high spots and call it good. I don't think you can patch it without destroying the level.

As much as you want a perfect level, I think I would file or stone any high spots and call it good. I don't think you can patch it without destroying the level.

Thanks Jim, that's what I figured, but I figured I would check with you guys before I did anything.

If you stick a piece of shim stock (about 5 thou) on the end of a largish file and another piece near the bump you can keep the file parallel, and when the file starts to cut the shim on the level you know that you are nearly there and have'nt scratched/filed the rest of the surface. Finish with a small stone or whatever.
John.

Unless the level's body was twisted somehow while making that dent,it should have no effect on the level's accuracy after you file the dent off. Just aggravating to look at! I'd give the seller bad marks over that.

Can you gracefully mill the end of the level off to get rid of the dent? Maybe mill both ends of the level so they look the same? Doing that will not stress relieve the casting.

Unless the level's body was twisted somehow while making that dent,it should have no effect on the level's accuracy after you file the dent off. Just aggravating to look at! I'd give the seller bad marks over that.

Can you gracefully mill the end of the level off to get rid of the dent? Maybe mill both ends of the level so they look the same? Doing that will not stress relieve the casting.

Thanks George!

After a small number of years any cast iron should be well stress relieved, not so much with steel, it will remember stress forever.

I have my 12 inch Starrett Level in front of me to see exactly where that ding is. As said, just file it off then use a honing stone to take any roughness off the base. It will give you years of service.

"Billy G"

It can be fixed, but it will always have that ding to remind you. I would make it the sellers problem, especially if not noted or a pic of it. Send it back, say it’s not as described, that automatically makes the seller pay for the return shipping. You just print out a prepaid return shipping label. Get your money back and then buy one without any problems (hopefully)…Good Luck, Dave.

Edit: I should have explained in more detail, sorry. If a seller says “no returns”. That means absolutely nothing!!! Especially if not as described. You can send the item back and the seller has to pay for the return shipping.

Last edited:
Milling off the ends of the level body is not at all similar to milling the length of the level's base flat,so no stress relief will occur and warp the level.

Back