Need Help With Air Impact Wrench

This is a very helpful thread.
Thank you all!

Daryl
MN

as a former / current tool repair business owner i can tell you that the two BEST are: ingersoll rand composite 2135 ti-max, the best all around impact you can buy, easy repairs, and strong as can be. . . . 1200 ft. lbs in reverse
the other one is a chicago pneumatic cp734h. totally different design / style, i believe its just under 500 ft. lbs
the ing. rand is not a trigger throttle controllable tool, but does have 4 selector valve for tightening. in removal mode, it just takes off the bolt / nut full tilt.
the chicago pneu is less powerful,, but much less $$$$ and the throttle is very trigger controlled. its very easy to just lightly app;y pressure.
most other tools copy either of these models, some are actually identical, i.e. mac, matco even aircat, and parts are interchangeable.
actually the third choice would be an ingersoll rand 231 or 231c which is the same basic design thats been used for at least 30 years. it fall into the same bracket as the cp734h
like i said, the others always try to copy the two leaders with cheaper versions. . . never the same.

I realize you inquired on a pneumatic impact. But I still have a sore note from years ago when I bought a 18V ½” drive DeWalt Impact. And I need to tell you folks what a piece of junk it is. It doesn’t have any power, just makes a lot of noise…worthless!

The modern electrics are far more powerful and useful. My brother is whatever the current ASE terminology is for a master mechanic/technician and his Milwaukee 18v impact (3/8" drive) has replace his Snap-On pneumatic for most things. At the dealership where I work the cordless Milwaukees and Snap-Ons are very popular as well.

One note about the HF stuff, to avoid the confusion with the real brands: Chicago Pneumatic is the real deal, while Central Pneumatic and Chicago Electric are Harbor Freight brands.

That said the HF earthquake line is very well regarded. My other brother (IT director by day, tinkerer like any of us by night) loves his, having been swayed by the tremendously positive reviews and pricetag, and uses it all over his F-350 dually. If you can't find a used USA-made like you want then you could do a lot worse than saving money on the HF line. It's an American company selling Chinese-made tools, just like nearly everyone else.

My Dad had a business that repaired pneumatic tools, as I recall CP, Uryu and IR were preferred by commercial users. Keep in mind that each company has several different lines geared toward different markets such as home users/hobbyists/small general repair companies (think small engine and mowers). These are sold to mass market outlets such as HD, Harbor Freight, Northern tool and the like.

The second level is aimed at auto/truck mechanics, tire stores, light manufacturing facilities and light industrial plant maintainence departments. These tools are often not found at the mass market outlets and require purchase from Jobbers in the auto repair industry. I suspect that many auto parts stores can source these tools.

The third level is heavy industry and large scale manufacturing, auto, aircraft, railroad and such. These tools or often only available from industrial suppliers due to their cost. These tools last the longest and work the best.

See an example here http://www.mcmaster.com/#impact-wrenches/=12p4r5n
The most expensive general duty 1/2" air impact is $276.
The only heavy duty 1/2" tool is $851, you will not find this one at Harbor Freight.
Buy whatever fits your budget and use, if you purchase a $150 tool and it lasts 2 years throw it in the scrap pile and buy another when it stops.
I do not advocate disposable goods at all by the way, that is a discussion for another day.
McMaster often does not list the tool manufacturer by name.

Both of my Snap-Ons went 2 years, rebuilt, 2 years, rebuilt... The problem is the rebuild was 1/2 the price of a new unit. With that I bought the 2131 I.R. and coasted on that for 20 years. Plastic body with a steel front section. Light weight with power.

I use to have CP that I used when I was at a dealership in the late 70s prior to joining the AF, but while I was in the desert I was stolen. That thing lasted, Did do an overhaul on it once but it lasted forever. Like one person said Dual hammer is better than one They are not cheap, and they last. I have purchased a cheap one to get me by but wish I had my old Cp back My father also did commercial truck and tractor flats. He also loved the CP ones and was not easy on them by any means, He had everything from 1/2 to I think 1 inch. in multiples just in case he had a problem he had a spare, he would use one for a while then move to the other, That way they all were kept well oiled and limber. Also the type of oil is a major item as you can gum them up with the wrong type of oil. Just my 2 cents.

Ingersoll for me. Ford Senior Master/ ASE master tech. But will say the cordless Milwaukee units are certainly quiet and seem to be very powerful.

I've wrenched on all flavors of heavy equipment, tugs up and down the Mississippi, logging equip etc, and I still carry the same cp 734 I purchased new back in the 80s as a backup on my truck, been rebuilt a few times but never failed me, I've been using an ingersoll 2135 for about 10 yrs of heavy use with no problems, it's a little faster and stronger than the cp and that makes a diff when wrenching large numbers of bolts, time is money, for home a cp would last a lifetime if cared for, 3/4 and 1" drive I use ingersoll all the way, nothing short of a hydraulic wrench can hang with them.

After using my sons dewalt 20v max brushless 1/2 impact. I will never drag an air hose around again.

Back