Need Help!

Capt45

Former Member
I come late to the 80% thing, but I have one 80% and (2) more on the way and haven't secured a Jig. I've pretty much thought about the 5D Tactical Multi Jig, and would like some input if you've used one. AND if someone has one setting around gathering dust, I'd consider buying it from you.
Thanks Capt45

I’ve done acouple and can tell you personally that those jigs and a router are a one way ticket to trash your lower. Had a friend buy the jig and a lower. Used a router with their carbide cutter and he got about a 1/8” of a inch before the cutter grabbed and rattled him around in the jig. Using a drill press to drill the trigger hole the drilled drifted enough to look like crap.
I milled aluminum plates so that I could mount in a vise to mill out the trigger pocket. Then I bolted the lower to a angle plate and drilled pin holes and safety. Way easier and dead accurate
First is buddy chowder marks, second is to show how trigger hole drifted and third is finish I got after cleaning up his mess. I wouldn’t waste my money on the jig do a quick search and get the prints all the coordinates are on there. Make up some soft jaws to put lower in a vise.AE7AA103-B029-4F23-A9BC-05414D837FE6.jpegB01E678F-11B6-40F3-ADF1-39F9C3100D05.jpeg590A3DA4-AC4C-49AC-93E8-71418FB5FE2D.jpeg

I always wondered about the rigidity of those jigs with a router and the tendency of aluminum to gum up and grab.

I bought a LR-308 jig, just so I didn't have to make a fixture to hold the lower. But I used my little mill (PM935), not a router to do the cutting.

i was approached by family to do some. i bought a jig but in my mind you can't just run a cutter around the plates. i spent the time and touched off the top templates, recorded it and now use the jig to hold the lower. i cut by the numbers

btw jig instructions state drill the trigger/safety holes first. i disagree and do last. less chance of walking

I bought a LR-308 jig, just so I didn't have to make a fixture to hold the lower. But I used my little mill (PM935), not a router to do the cutting.
Interesting; is your mill CNC?

That's a large mill compared to my PM25, however I think it's up to the task.

You wouldn’t happen to have the prints on a 308 lower that you’d share. Read theirs acouple discrepancy’s in prints on the interweb and they should be checked prior to machining. Problem is I don’t know what’s good or bad. :(

Back