Need Help!

I have the 5D Tactile Jig and it works well, don't be in a hurry and try to do it as fast as the video they have showing it. I obtained very good results with mine. Shallow cuts, go in a clockwise motion all per the instructions and it works well. With that being said I like using my Bridgeport much better, it's a lot slower but much cleaner looking results. I have a DRO and once I have the lower in the vise and indicated it give a VERY nice finish, I am very picky about the two pin holes since I don't like the any of the factory triggers so I take great care there and use a much better trigger. It's not that hard to do, I'm not sure why the above results in the photos are so bad, my first one turned out MUCH better with just the jig. Good Luck

Yeah, I have a Precision Matthews small Mill but just learning to use it. Do you still use the 5D with the Mill?

I used the 5D jig in a vise, does not have to be in the mill. If you get the 5D jig, build you a box (i used carboard) around it, the router throws the swarf EVERYWHERE. I built a set of blocks to hold the lower in the mill vise when using the mill and then had to modify the blocks due to several of the lowers are different externally (closed vs open trigger guard and such).
I have had several calls recently (last few months) that the Dewalt routers are very hard to find now for the same reason, primers,powder and ammo are hard to find.

Yeah, I noticed the Router situation. Dewalt is the #1 recommended with Makita a close second. Makita is available. I'm still in the process of locating a 5D Tactical Jig but hopefully someone will want to sell there's. I have a few 80%'ers and 5 routers(heavier bench models) so I'll probably get the Makita router and do at least the first one that way before venturing to the Mill.
Thanks for all the info.

That's a large mill compared to my PM25, however I think it's up to the task.

I used my old PM25 to drill and mill the saddle on my CO 9x45 for a oiling system. It should do fine with an aluminum ar15 lower. :)

IMG_0617.jpg

When the head is further up the column just remember to take smaller bites and you'll be fine.

You wouldn’t happen to have the prints on a 308 lower that you’d share. Read theirs acouple discrepancy’s in prints on the interweb and they should be checked prior to machining. Problem is I don’t know what’s good or bad. :(

No Sir, sorry I don't. I built my LR using a Juggernaught (sp) upper and lower, so I just bought their fixture and used the numbers that came with the fixture. I used the top plate on the fixture to pattern the X/Y movements so all I had to worry about was getting the depth correct.

I'd never milled one of these, so I erred on the side of caution, even if it did cost me more (for the fixture).

Last edited:
I see you may have cut some oil grooves in the bottom of the saddle. Looks great and will definately help. I was taught to not cut straight oil grooves in the direction of the motion of the part. What will eventually happen is everywhere else will wear in time and you will have a high spot where the matting part is riding inside the groove. A way to overcome this problem is cut the oil groove on a angle to the direction of the part. So with your part it would look like a long Z with a line in the middle like you have. Then everything will wear the same.BC6CE0AD-A55F-41F7-9B8E-3F79441A8B31.jpeg

I see you may have cut some oil grooves in the bottom of the saddle. Looks great and will definately help. I was taught to not cut straight oil grooves in the direction of the motion of the part. What will eventually happen is everywhere else will wear in time and you will have a high spot where the matting part is riding inside the groove. A way to overcome this problem is cut the oil groove on a angle to the direction of the part. So with your part it would look like a long Z with a line in the middle like you have. Then everything will wear the same.View attachment 362188

I wasn't taught anything regarding this. As in most things I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants. Sometimes it works. Sometimes not. My friend who has owned that machine for many years now, says it still runs great. It is not a daily run machine, so it could take a while for something like you describe to happen. I may even still be here when/if it does. ;)

Thanks for the tip.

Back