Need Limit Stop M6 T-nut - any sources besides Grizzly?

A M6 nut might not have enough meat in it, but there's nothing to stop you milling some from a piece of bar and drilling/tapping them, 5mm drill and M6 tap required if you don't have 'em, a few Local Currency Units, and you'll be set up for making more when you want 'em and any other M6 threaded additions to the mill?

Dave H. (the other one)

Hey, British Steel. Totally off topic but I saw the movie "Lord of the Flies" the other day. In it the character Piggy tells how the Cambridge Town was renamed Camberley.

Tee nuts were one of the first projects when I got my first mill. The mill was slotted for 5/8" Tee nuts but the ones which came with the set were 9/16". I have never run across a 5/8" Tee nut tapped for 3/8-16 studs so making them was the only option. Some forty years later, I'm still using them.

It is a fairly simple part to make. An end mill, a drill and a tap are the only required tools. Measurements don't even have to be that precise. For a limit stop, aluminum would be an acceptable material.

Go ahead and make them. Aside from having a supply of nuts at hand, you will have the pride of accomplishment and a sense of empowerment when you're finished.

Don't forget, when you've made 'em, munge the last couple of turns on the underside so you can't run the bolts through all the way and out the other side, which is the quickest way to break out the top of the T-slots leaving an ugly crater in your mill table...

Dave H. (the other one)

Hey, British Steel. Totally off topic but I saw the movie "Lord of the Flies" the other day. In it the character Piggy tells how the Cambridge Town was renamed Camberley.

Yup, it was originally named for the Cambridge Hotel, which is still standing!
The kid who played Piggy went to Camberley Primary school, and motorbike scrambling started here too :)

Dave H. (the other one)

Don't forget, when you've made 'em, munge the last couple of turns on the underside so you can't run the bolts through all the way and out the other side, which is the quickest way to break out the top of the T-slots leaving an ugly crater in your mill table...

Dave H. (the other one)

I use a plug tap and stop when the tap is flush with the bottom of the T nut.

Yep, those are them. I can't bring myself to spend $10 on shipping $2 worth of parts, so instead, I spend $50 on metric taps and drill bits and will spend probably an hour making them.
So now you just learned something about me. :D

Back