Need Low Cost Autocad Replacement

modela

Active User
Registered
I have a background in AutoCAD and mechanical drawing. I dropped AutoCAD years ago as the cost of the upgrades increased extensively. I would like to get back into it without facing a massive learning curve.

I am looking for a low-cost replacement that would have most of the AutoCAD features.

DraftSight= free. Basically a 'clone' of AutoCad. Have been using it several years now, having come from AutoCad myself. Minor if any learning curve.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DraftSight= free. Basically a 'clone' of AutoCad. Have been using it several years now, having come from AutoCad myself. Minor if any learning curve.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Stan, I will try it. It would be nice not to face another ugly learning curve.

I've been using a similar product from Autodesk called AutoSketch. It is a 2D product, but does include some 3D effects, though it is not a full 3D package. Don't let the name fool you, it works very well for 2D prints. I am currently running version 9, but version 10 has been available for quite some time. It sells for about $250, so I don't really consider it to be 'low cost' but it does not have the high license maintenance costs like AutoCAD. I find it to be very versatile and worth every penny.

There are other products out there, some of them free, but with a learning curve to consider.

TurboCAD is a commercially available product that can be purchased for less money than AutoSketch. It is a little different than AutoCAD, but not too difficult to learn. I used it for a while about 15 years ago and it wasn't too bad.

I've been using a similar product from Autodesk called AutoSketch. It is a 2D product, but does include some 3D effects, though it is not a full 3D package. Don't let the name fool you, it works very well for 2D prints. I am currently running version 9, but version 10 has been available for quite some time. It sells for about $250, so I don't really consider it to be 'low cost' but it does not have the high license maintenance costs like AutoCAD. I find it to be very versatile and worth every penny.

There are other products out there, some of them free, but with a learning curve to consider.

TurboCAD is a commercially available product that can be purchased for less money than AutoSketch. It is a little different than AutoCAD, but not too difficult to learn. I used it for a while about 15 years ago and it wasn't too bad.

Thanks, I will look into it.

I like your old tool list. Mine includes old bridgeport mill, my dad's Logan lathe, 30 year old Unisaw, old Delta radial arm saw, old Craftsman belt/disk stander, JC Penny (Stanley) router and grinder, 20 plus year old Makita planer jointer, my grandfather's anvil, and many more tools still cranking out projects as well. I had an old Keller reciprocating hacksaw but gave it away to a friend.

Jim

I have a background in AutoCAD and mechanical drawing. I dropped AutoCAD years ago as the cost of the upgrades increased extensively. I would like to get back into it without facing a massive learning curve.

I am looking for a low-cost replacement that would have most of the AutoCAD features.

Take a look a Fusion 360. It is a 3D modeling product with integrated CAM from AutoDesk. It is free to students, educators, hobbyists, and startup businesses. There will be a learning curve transitioning from AutoCad but it has tremendous capability and it is well supported by AutoDesk.

Could anyone elaborate on the difference between 3 dimensional CAD and modelling software. Advantages, difficulty to learn, functionality, etc.?

Thanks,

Jim

+1 on Fusion 360
I recently switched to it. I have been using CAD since the 90's, and found the learning curve pretty painless.
It is a pretty powerful program, and pretty intuitive.
I generally prefer to start with a 2D sketch and extrude it to 3D, and it works very well for this. I have not played much with it starting from primitive solids, but what little I did was pretty simple and easy. It is certainly much easier to learn than 3DSMax.

+2 on fusion 360 plus a full 12 month subscription is $80 tomorrow on Amazon for their daily deal. Onshape is another web based system that is free.

Back