Need Some Help From You Computer Whiz Guys

Sandia

Active User
Registered
I took a short video with my I phone and down loaded it to my laptop. I was going to post it on the forum on Projects of the day. When I upload it I get a Error Message stating the file does not have an allowed extension. What does that mean and how do I go about fixing it.
Tanks, Bob

Just taking a stab at it. Not all file types are allowed to be uploaded. The extension of your video may be one the forum software can't use. This would be like .mov, .mp4, .avi,.mpg etc. You can upload it to your youtube account and then link to that in your post on the forum. That should show the video in your post and allow clicking on it to view in youtube. You can also google video file converters and get a program that will convert your video to a compatible format. I do not know which file formats are allowed by the forum software. You might ask Nels.

Hope this helps.
Roy

Thanks Roy, complicated for an old guy. I'll play with it for a while. May try the You Tube route.

Thanks buddy

Roy is probably right that the problem is with the file type.
apple pushes some odd kind of files sometimes, and your video may be one of them.

I know I have successfully uploaded MP4 file types here.
Here is the list of supported file types I see in the pick-list from an upload window on this site:
upload_2016-12-30_22-29-4.png
So maybe MP4 is the only supported video type?!?!

In the application you use to take the video, there may be a way to change the default file type, but that only helps for new videos.

There are some video conversion applications you could try on the laptop (or likely even on the phone) to convert it into a supported file type.
There are also some web-based video converters.
Sorry I cannot recommend any.

-brino

update: I just had my son make a short video with his ipad, and once we finally found a way to see the file it was named like "filename.MOV". That's not so exotic, but it looks like it's not supported.

Thanks Roy, complicated for an old guy. I'll play with it for a while. May try the You Tube route.

Thanks buddy

Any time Bob. It sounds as though Tony has allowed the .mov file format so you can give it a try again. Computers and internet are very complicated but take it one problem at a time and us old guys can do it. I just wish learning to be a machinist was as easy. It is a lot more fun though.

Happy New Year to All!

Apple makes alot of great stuff , great camera , great lenses , take great video , and solid OS ...but they are very proprietary in many things they do . Upload your video to a youtube account, then once it's uploaded, find the "share" icon on youtube , click "share" and it will give you a link for your video. Highlight that link, then copy and paste that link (mouse right clicks for copy/paste options) paste the link into your post here on HM . Keep in mind that the upload process may take several minutes...and a few more for youtube to process it into their format. Btw, you can also copy and paste that same link into any PM , email , facebook ...whatever . Computers are not that complicated , it is just like a tree with various branches (file system) that lead to folders, files and executable programs ... it's covered over in a graphic user interface that you see on the screen . Computers are like a big city you've never been to . If you've never been to NYC or LA and you got dropped off in the middle, you wouldn't know how to navigate the place ...but after a short while, you'd know your way around . Well good luck with your vid and have a great New Year !

Thanks guys for the quick input. Tony your on the ball fellow. I will try to mess with it today sometime. Thanks again.

Back