New Member Gets 5 Machines

gold642

machinist farmer
Registered
I am new the the forum and to the site. This is my first post. I am a machinist out of necessary. I need to repair my farm machinery as the dealers are to expensive for me. I own a Van Norman model 12, Clausing 5914 12X36 lathe , and Monarch CY 16X48. I have allows wanted a Bridgeport milling machine and a friend of mine called me about one a friend of his had. I called the guy and he was unwilling to sell just the small Bridgeport. If I wanted it I had to buy everything. There is a Monarch 10 ee sn-ee-17702, Monarch series 50 about the same size as my CY. A small Bridgeport, a surface grinder, a Hobart Tig/stick welder and a Bridgeport series 1 cnc 3xis milling machine. There is also some tooling, both lathes have 3 and 4 jaw chucks and steady rests. The small mill has r8 collets and the series 1 has 30 holders. Both mills have Kurt vises. There is misc. cutters and tool holders. I paid $5200 for everything but other than my friends assurance the everything was operational until the previous owner passed away 2 months ago. It is a pig in the poke. Saturday I am to pickup the machines. I am very excited about what I am going to see. I am not a machinist but have some experiences at repairs. I can do bearing fits and cut key ways . I am hoping everyone here will help me learn to use theses machines and I'm looking forward to your opinions.

Sounds like you found a bird's nest on the ground. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your acquisitions. I would say you found more than a sweet deal.

Welcome to the site. You'll find all the help you need here, I'm sure. We have all shapes and sizes of machinists here, so if you want to know something, just aske. No one will ridicule you for a "dumb" questions. We all weren't born wearing safety glasses and a shop apron. That all came later to us. You have questions, just ask. We like questions.

Wow! That's a lot of equipment for that price. We'll be waiting to see the pictures.

Lots of help available here, so ask away! As Tony says, we are here to help no matter what your experience level is.

Great score and welcome! That 10EE if in good shape is worth what you paid for everything!...Dave

They want $5k just for a 'project' 10ee around here so you basically got everything else for free nice score!

If you want to lighten your load I'll buy that 10EE off you for double what you paid for it :)

Thanks for the offer of help. On Saturday I plan on taking my 4k lb fork lift, semi tractor and drop deck trailer plus a goose neck on my 1 ton. The fork lift is all terian 4x4 so once I'm outside it should be simple. I'm a little concerned on how to pickup the mills. I have moved my other lathes and I feel OK moving them. The cnc machine really concerns me. I assume I unhook everything that plugs in. turn the head upside down on a wood block and run the table up till it helps support it. Where do I hook my lift straps. I also believe I need some old blankets to protect straps from sharp edges. On an other site someone cautioned something about glass under some shield that if I break it . I'm out a grand to repair but there were no pictures so I am not sure what they are talking about. I think it has to do with the digital readouts which is on both mills. I was told machines are very dirty so I was going to blow them off outside before I bring them in the shop. I'll try to take lots of pictures then I need to learn how to load them here. Anything else I need to be considering?

At this time I want to get the machines home and play with them. However I can't see where a cnc milling machine comes into repairing farm equipment. I might sell it down the road. To tell you the truth the g code in the books seems confusing as of now. As for the rest of the machines i think it would be nice to set up the 10 ee with the colletts which are included. Leave the series 50 setup on a 3 jaw and set the CY up on 4 jaw. I am getting ahead of myself. They might be nothing but some big boat anchors. I sure hope not but at the price I figured I could part them out and get my money back.

I normally lift knee mills by putting the straps under the ram, one on each side of the column or slide the forks under the ram and place a 2x4 on top of the forks. If I use straps, I use a few layers of cardboard to protect the straps from the sharp edges.

20150925_115644.jpg

As far as handling the CNC, if it has a separate cabinet then it should disconnect with plugs, if not, then just secure anything movable and lift. It is better to transport a knee mill with the knee cranked all the way down to avoid damaging the screw, also lowers the CG.

The surface grinder is top heavy and there is no good place to grab them. It's best to get them strapped down to a heavy pallet before moving.

It sounds like you are well equipped and have the experience to handle the machines, so I don't think you will have any problems.

Last edited:
I'll take a couple of heavy pallets, straps and some additional blocks 2x4's and the like. I think the cnc mill weight is 2500 to 3000? Thanks for the picture and I really did not want to mess with the head. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Back