New PM-1228VF-LB

double post

Last edited:
Hey Aukai -- I was pretty lucky and the section of floor where I put the lathe is both surprisingly level and flat. The stands are stiff enough that I was able to get everything level and solid by just adding a few shims and wedges under various corners. I think a much better approach would have been to add some proper feet. There are nice mounting points in all 4 corners of each stand that you can see in one of my pictures above. Maybe eight little adjustable leveling feet? McMaster has a huge selection:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#levels/=19s16m6
Thank you for the link, I sent Matt an email asking what the threads are.

Thank you for the link, I sent Matt an email asking what the threads are.
Matt got back to me, non threaded 9/16 holes. Those are some good size holes.

Interesting toolpost shenanigans. It turns out that the dovetails of the Precision Matthews AXA tool holders are significantly wider than those of the Shars tool holders. The Shars holders wouldn't even start to fit onto the top of the PM AXA post. I took the toolpost apart and noticed that the jaws could not rise all the way up in their tracks because the top edges of the jaws were square features trying to slip into a round recess. I rounded off the top edges of each jaw with a file and now the post will "open up" enough to accept the Shars tool holders. Here's the spot that needed some work:

PostA.png

On ebay there are 2 Shars tool holders pictured. One says China, the other does not, and there was a fitment issue between the 2. Hope I have the right ones, thank you for the pictures.

I just got some glass scales from China. Still waiting on the DRO, but I think I will get the scales mounted up. Can someone who has worked with these give me a sense of how critical the alignment of the sensor to the scale is? Do I have a little wiggle-room for positioning, or does it need to be spot on? I assume that there can/should be a small gap between the sensor piece and the scale? Thanks!

Scales.jpg

Well one month later my 1228 is at home, 800 bucks total shipping. It's all together, but have been working, so have not had time to do anything to/with it yet. Did we ever figure out what the 2 black channels that were bubble wrapped are for? Thank you

Hey Aukai -- no, I never saw a use for those channels. Someone in the thread above thought they were intended for shipping, but mine were all wrapped in bubble wrap... Please let me know if you figure it out!

I got my $168 Chinese DRO all mounted up and it's working really well so far. I'll post some pictures if I get a chance.

Hey Aukai -- no, I never saw a use for those channels. Someone in the thread above thought they were intended for shipping, but mine were all wrapped in bubble wrap... Please let me know if you figure it out!

I got my $168 Chinese DRO all mounted up and it's working really well so far. I'll post some pictures if I get a chance.
Thank you, I'm waiting for my DRO from PM also. I'm wondering if it's for use if you do not buy the stand, it won't go on with the reinforcement/gussets inside of the cabinet.
Aloha Mike

Back