[Mill] New Siber Hegner Rb-1 Milling Machine

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just bought this "new" Siber Hegner RB-1 Mill, From a local machinery dealer. Though the mill was manufactured in 1987, it was never in a shop or put into in use. The dealer says he bought out all the importers stock of these machines, when they went out of business many years ago, he sold some then and had the rest in inventory ever since. Recently, he decided to sell the remaining machines, he had a couple left that were essentially new old stock, although not 100% complete as some parts had been removed over the years. After some negotiation, he agreed to let me complete one machine out of the remaining machines and parts he had. Yesterday, I was at the dealers shop and completed my machine...IMG_8255.jpgIMG_8293.jpgIMG_8296.jpgRB-1 Ad Flyer Back.jpgRB-1 Ad Flyer front.jpg
Next step, Move it to my basement shop....

Hi
Looks a nice Mill, can you get a x power feed for it.
It has a good spec, i would like one, you have got a good buy there. :eagerness:

Hi
Looks a nice Mill, can you get a x power feed for it.
It has a good spec, i would like one, you have got a good buy there. :eagerness:
The table and head are basically Bridgeport clones so most accessories should fit. I plan to convert it to CNC.

Interesting design, seems like good quality. If you don't mind saying what was the final cost? Mike

Interesting design, seems like good quality. If you don't mind saying what was the final cost? Mike

It cost $3,800. I had been shopping for this particular machine for almost a year. I looked at 5 of them before I found this one. The others varied in price from $3,000 to $4,500 and all of those were well used. I wanted this machine over a Bridgeport as I think the bed style will be better suited for conversion to CNC.

I actually had one of these machines lined up to buy at the end of last year. However, complications of life got in the way and I had to put the mill purchase off, till this spring. By that time the guy had sold it... I was kind of kicking myself until I found this one :)

You may well be right on the cnc conversion. Seems like if you hang in there things usually work out for the best. Cheers, Mike

Interestingly I was just checking one of these out as they are quite rigid and can do some pretty heavy milling for their size. The one I saw was no where near as nice as this one though. Nice find!

Interestingly I was just checking one of these out as they are quite rigid and can do some pretty heavy milling for their size. The one I saw was no where near as nice as this one though. Nice find!
Yes they are rigid and have a lot of XYZ travel for their size, that's what attracted me to these machines. Also, moving the head for the Z instead of the knee will be easier on the servo motor when I CNC it.

Wow, that looks beefy! :encourage:
Congratulations, I am glad you found the one you wanted.....and it was likely in better shape then the last one you looked at.

-brino

Back