New To Forum With 3in1

kamn

Registered
Registered
Hello to all,
I have been lurking for a while and just reading a lot. Last year I picked up a Craftex B2229 from an older gentlemen that didn't use but instead it just got dirty and a little rusty (surface). I am limited to space but need to use both operations (milling very light). Have been cleaning it up and working to improve it as well as making a few parts for my motor bikes. As soon as I can post some pics I will
Also have plans to make some changes to it with a DC motor and variable speed and A DRO (just the iGaging since I don't want to dump a ton of money into it).

Cheers
Kameron

Belated Welcome! I also have a 3 in 1, mine is a Shoptask 1720xmtc. I think the 3 in 1 subforum gets missed a lot by the regular guys and not many posts either. You will not be ignored here because of your machine so jump in with questions or answers. If you are thinking of going the iGaging rout take a look at www.yuriystoys.com, really slick upgrade if you already have the scales. I built the MSP430 version my self and it sure made for a DRO that fit my price range.

Hello Kameron, and welcome to H-M!

I like your ideas for upgrades. I can't own a machine (or anything else for that matter) without making upgrades/personalizing it. Isn't that half the fun? :D

Thanks for the warm welcome guys
I understand very well that most here are not fans of 3 in 1 machines but thats their problem, with limited space and a small budget I can make things I couldn't before.
As soon as I get anything upgraded or improved I will be posting about it

Cheers

I have a 3 in 1 machine and am also a newbie - the 3 in 1 machines can do almost anything their larger cousins can but not at 1 time - have great luck with HSS cutters since the 3 in 1's have limited power but where their is a will, there's relatives - these folks don't make fun of you, they just try to answer your questions to help make you a better machinist - ask away!

Welcome!
I too am new to machining. I have a 3 in 1 machine that I use to make hardware for bamboo fly rods. Don't think the only information that will help you is in the 3 in 1 forum. A lathe is a lathe and this site is a treasure trove of helpful tips and helpful people.

image.jpg I have also been lurking and reading on this forum and others. A lot of good information and ideas. I use a Smithy Granite Elite 1340 3 in 1 in my fabricating shop and think the 3 in 1 is way under-rated and too often laughed off as a toy. These are very capable machines as long as it is realized they are not a 2 ton Bridgeport or large South Bend lathe. The first thing I did when I got mine was take several days to set it up level and then clean, de-burr, lubricate, tram, scrape and tighten everything. Out of the box they are not the most precise equipment that exists for sure, but a little time and work and I have found it to be as good or better then separate machines. I added a 3-axis DRO, a coolant system and am in the planning phase of conversion to ballscrews on X and Y axis. Once the ballscrews are installed and working right I have a full CNC 3 axis system that is going to be installed.

To a lot of people it may seem crazy to put this much time, effort and money into a 3 in 1, but space considerations do not allow separates. The capacity is 13 x 40 which as of yet has not been too small for any fab job. Not going to line bore a V8, but that is not the type of work I do. Part of the reason for doing all this is just because I can and I like to do it, but also when I get done, like most other projects, I have exactly what I want and need for my application and needs. To get the same capabilities would require 3-4 times the money and considerable shop real estate that I don't have.

I could not agree more with another poster who said that a lathe is a lathe and don't think that any idea for a lathe cannot be adapted or used on a 3 in 1. I have seen some very incredible work done on these machines and like any other machine tool once you get used to the way the machine operates it is just as good or better than any of the Myfords, Craftsman, South Bends, or other smaller lathes that I see people own. I have been able to hold 2/10's on some precision work as long as I take my time and go slow and easy.

image.jpeg

Belated Welcome! I also have a 3 in 1, mine is a Shoptask 1720xmtc. I think the 3 in 1 subforum gets missed a lot by the regular guys and not many posts either. You will not be ignored here because of your machine so jump in with questions or answers. If you are thinking of going the iGaging rout take a look at www.yuriystoys.com, really slick upgrade if you already have the scales. I built the MSP430 version my self and it sure made for a DRO that fit my price range.
I am brand new here too, but I have built the Bluetooth DRO from yuriystoys and everything works great as I even wrote a small app for data logging using it on some tests. I have not mounted to my Shoptask 1720 or my HF 44142 yet as I wanted to see how others have mounted their scales. Right now I have magnets on the scale and a spring to the head with plunger so I can move from tool to tool. I want to get scales for both machines and make things more secure. Maybe Santa will come with the rest of the stuff this year : ).

Anyhow, if you have any pictures, I would love to see how and where you placed your scales.

Will post some pictures later, but you will have to excuse the mess that I am sure you will see in the background!

Awesome! Don't worry - I use a single shipping container for my shop and when I get to go out and play, I am always in a rush (I.e. rarely take time to clean up properly). My guess is there are a lot of guys like me. I think I crop or Photoshop all of my pictures just on general principles. Actually I trust someone who has a shop where chips and clutter prove they really do actual work. Thanks.

Back