• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

New to me: Craftsman 101.27440 lathe.

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Orangecrush

Just a FYI about the motor for my lathe.

As most of you know, I have been working on the AC motor that was on my lathe when I bought it. Cleaned it up and painted it over the past few days. Asked a bunch of questions about the motor and was worried that it might not work after everything I have done.

While, last night I finally got a very nice AC cord and connected it to the motor. Plugged in the motor and BAM, I'm only kidding, it ran smooth, almost like it was brand new, Ide say it purrs like a kitten!!! So all my worrying about the motor and it not being able to ever run again was for nothing, I'm happy to say!!!

Thank you everyone for all your helpful information.

Orangecrush

Hello good members,

It's been a while since I posted on my progress with my Atlas Craftsman 27440 Lathe. But I have cleaned it up and painted it. So now I am ready to put it back together and I have a question to those that might know this. On the carriage cross feed, there is a Scroll (L6-38) and a Plunger (L6-265). The Plunger is what keeps the cross slide feed from going into gear when you have the leadscrew engaged. The Scroll is the part that engages the leadscrew when you push the handle down on the right of the apron.

What I need to know is, if you have ever looked at the Scroll on your Lathe? The reason I ask is that on my Lathe the Scroll is round and can not drop the Plunger down. Because of this the cross feed knob will not pull out to use the cross feed. What I need to know is if the Scroll on your Lathe has either a flat area or some type of hole. So that the Plunger can drop down and let you pull the cross feed knob.

If anyone might know what I am talking about. Please let me know it would be truly appreciate.

Rob

On some models the interlock was not present. Not sure but I think that the Craftsman's had it and the Atlas did not but not sure on that. There is a flat that is milled on the ones that have it. I purchased one off EBay once and it did not have the flat so I was able to cut it using my milling attachment. I will try and get you a picture of it later today. You can remove the plunger and use it that way until you either mill the slot or get a new one.

Orangecrush

Hello Rob and thank you for getting back to me.

Yes if you could, please take a picture of the Scroll you have. I would like to see how the flat is milled on it. So I can do the same thing to my Scroll.

Orangecrush

Ah yes. I can see what you are talking about with the flat. Thank you for providing the dimensions. I think I slap my Scroll on my mill and cut the flat.

Orangecrush

Yes Rob, I noticed the oration of the flat on the round part of the Scroll. Not sure if it would be better to just see if I can find one on ebay. Or try and cut the flat on the one I have.

Orangecrush

Hello again Rob,

I guess what I don't understand is, why on my Lathe did they put a round Scroll in. The reason I ask is that my Lathe has all the components for the cross slide feed. But when I got it to my shop and started taking it apart to clean it up and paint it. I noticed that the miter gear for the cross slide that should have a internal KEY inside was missing (the internal key not the miter gear it's self). So I ended up finding one (keyed miter gear) on eBay to replace the old one.

It wasn't until I started to put the carriage assembly back together that I found the issue with the Plunger and Scroll. Unless for some reason Atlas or maybe Craftsman decided not to make the 24770 lathe with the cross feed. But left the pull knob and subassemblies for the cross feed intact. I don't know it doesn't make any sense to me why they would leave out the Scroll with the flat and the miter gear without the key inside? Unless it was for some type of safety thing?

Another thing I think is kind of weird. All the Scrolls on eBay are the round type?

What do you think?

Last edited:

Rob

First I know that not all the lathes had this interlock, I know that my Craftsman has it and I know that some of the 10" Atlas ones do not. As with any interlock it is a safety thing but not sure if it is needed. I don't see myself engaging the cross slide feed at the same time as the carriage feed but without it it can be done.

Now as to why I am just guessing but I can see someone replacing a broken one with one purchased off EBay or some other place rather than getting one from Clausing. I know when I have contacted Clausing they want my lathe model #. When I purchased the one that I milled the flat in I did not realize about the interlock until I was attempting to install the scroll. As I recall I see more on EBay without the flat spot than with it.

As I mentioned you could just remove the plunger and use the scroll until you either obtained another one or got around to milling the flat on this one or not at all.

Orangecrush

Well, what I ended up doing is. And I kind of regret this, but I ended up cutting the very end off the Plunger. The reason I did that over removing the whole thing. Is that I would of had to remove the cross feed knob which is held in place with a small pin. And I didn't have a drive pin small enough to get that little pin out.

But like I said I kinda regret it, because now the Plunger does not push up against the Scroll. Because of this the Scroll does not move the half nuts away from the Leadscrew enough. And I have to use a rubber band to keep the lever up so that the half nuts don't interfere with the Leadscrew.

I gotta go back and look at everything again, because I think it just might be the spring that holds the Plunger. When I tried to remove the Plunger the first time I took off the spring to see if I could get the Plunger out. But of course the Plunger is to long to remove without removing the cross feed knob. So it could be just the spring for the Plunger that is giving me the problem. I already tried to adjust the little spring with the ball that is used for adjusting the half nut lever. But that didn't do any good.

Also, when I bought the Lathe. The guy who sold it to me also sold me a old Atlas horizontal milling machine. Both machines came with a bunch of tooling. Which is nice because you never have enough tooling. LoL And before I bought the mill and lathe, I bought a Grizzly G0704 and it also came with a bunch of tooling and a very nice vise. But what I am looking for now is a small vise for the Atlas horizontal mill. So if you know of anyone who might have a small machine vise they want to sell. Please let me know.

If you don't mind me asking, what Lathe do you have? I assume that it is a Craftsman, but what model is it?

Anyway, thank you Rob for all your help. It is truly appreciated.

Last edited:

Orangecrush

Hello Larry,

Thank you for your reply to this post. I don't know of any other people who have the 27440 Craftsman Lathe then you and me right now. At least no one has commented on having one other than you so far on this post.

I would like to ask you a few questions about your 24770 Craftsman Lathe, if that is okay with you. If you have read any of this post then you know what I have been going through. I bought the Craftsman 24770 Lathe and a Atlas horizontal mill from a guy on Craigslist. I really didn't know much about the Lathe when I bought it. Other than what the guy who sold it to me had to say. Which was that the lathe and mill was owned by a old gunsmith guy. So I thought that they would probably be in good condition, or in somewhat good condition.

But when I got them back to my shop it was a whole nother story. I have already rebuilt the Atlas horizontal milling machine and it runs great. But the Lathe, was covered in old grease and saw dust and at the time I couldn't tell how bad it was. Since then I have taken everything apart and clean and painted the Lathe. Now I am putting it back together and finding problems here and there with it. Not show stoppers, but things that need attention before I can start cutting parts.

As I mentioned above, the miter gear for the cross feed was missing the internal key. And the Scroll didn't have the flat area for the Plunger to drop into. Which leads me to believe that my 24770 Lathe was not intended to have a working power cross feed? I have already bought a keyed miter gear and fixed the Scroll/ Plunger issue. So I now have power cross feed.

But one thing I am not sure about is the bed ways. When I first got the Lathe I didn't notice the wear on the bed ways. Until I started putting the carriage assembly back on the bed ways. I'm not sure if I should stone the bed ways or just leave them alone.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

larry4406

Orangecrush - I have not taken my lathe apart, so I am afraid I am not much help. I have also not put it to use due to other projects.

I see Rob has one and has posted the parts list and manual.

markba633csi

Hi Orangecrush: most Atlas/Craftsman lathes this old will have some wear in the bedways. Usually it doesn't cause a big problem. You might have difficulty turning longish shafts to a precise diameter without some taper showing up. But even a really worn lathe can still make good parts if you are aware of the wear and compensate for it.
Mark S.

Orangecrush

Thank you everyone for getting back to me,

First off, Rob thank you for the PDF file. I think I might have the same version that I downloaded here a couple days ago. But what I would really like to see is some pictures of your Atlas horizontal mill and the Atlas Shaper!!! I just got done rebuilding my Atlas horizontal mill and would like to compare the one you have to mine.

And as far as the cross feed and my concern about it. It seems to work fine when I turn the Leadscrew by hand. I am now in the process of putting the rest of the gears on the Lathe. Next will be the pulley assembly on the back. And about the wear on the bed ways, I guess I'm not really concerned about it right now. I'll have to see how the Lathe cuts before I do anything to repair it. Like I said in my post above, I took a stone to the bed ways to knock off any sharp edges.

Also, Rob I know you have a 27440 Craftsman Lathe. But if anyone else has one (including you Rob) please post some pictures. I would love to see what you have done to your Lathe!!!

I'll take some pictures tonight, so you guys can see my progress.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your help!!!

Orangecrush

Hey Rob,

Thanks for getting back to me.

That is one thing I want to get after I have the Lathe running. Is a QCTP, I know that Shars sells the AXA and heard that it will fit on my Lathe. Right now I have a bunch of the old style (Rocker tool post) tool holders. And when I bought the lathe and mill they both came with a bunch of tooling. Some of the stuff for the Lathe I'm not even sure about what they are used for. Because like I said, the guy who owned the lathe and mill supposed to be a gunsmith. So there is some weird looking tooling.

I also have the dilemma of which motor I want to put on the Lathe. The motor that was on the mill is a Craftsman 1/2hp at 1725rpm. And the one that was on the lathe is a 1/3hp at 1725rpm. But the old 1/3hp motor is really old and the 1/2hp motor has a forward and reverse switch on it. Don't ask me why they put a forward and reverse switch on the mill, because it doesn't make sense to have one on the mill.

But I am thinking about putting the 1/2hp motor on the Lathe. Do you think that is to much HP for the Lathe?

Also, here is a couple of pictures of the Atlas mill. 1104170102.jpg 1104170101.jpg

And of the Lathe before I started working on it 0620170155.jpg

Some of the tooling. 0620170158.jpg

Last edited:

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I think 1/2 hp would be just about perfect for the lathe. And I agree with you about the QCTP. My lathe came with a rocker and I hated it. I installed the AXA and am very happy.

Orangecrush

Hello Jon,

Yeah, I haven't even tried to use the old style Rocker tool post yet. But I can imagine that they are a nightmare to setup, at least the first time. LoL Only reason I want to try out the rocker tool post. Is that I have a bunch of tooling for it that came with the Lathe when I bought it. And I know some of those QCTP can get expensive. Where did you get the AXA at?

Bamban

Active User
Where did you get the AXA at?

Import models from Shars, sometimes their eBay pricing is lower than direct purchase from them. All industrial is another supplier of import models. I buy my Aloris directly from them when they have sales promotion.

JPMacG

Active User
I purchased my AXA from CDCO Machinery Co. It is branded "Bostar". It is the wedge type.

By the way, my lathe has an Atlas 1/2 HP 1725 RPM motor. I think it is the original motor that was installed when the lathe was new. My MFC mill has a 1/3 HP Dunlap motor. I suspect that motor is not the original but 1/3 HP seems to be standard for the MFC.

I found the lantern tool post to be harder to set up and less rigid than the AXA. I never did get the lantern cutoff tool to work for a deep cut. I still have the lantern tooling for some possible future need, People with more experience than me say that the lantern system works OK if you know how to use it and spend the time to shim the cutter holder properly.

Last edited:

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Steve,

By the 1950's, the 1/2 HP motor was the recommended size for both the 10" and the 12" Atlas built ways.

The reason that your keyed mitre gear that runs on the lead screw did not have a key in it is because it broke off, probably due to a crash. Atlas never made and Sears never sold a 101.27440 (or 101.27430 or 101.07403) that did not have a working power cross feed. That was a big selling point for them when the 101.07403 first came out. None of the earlier machines had it, nor did the 101.07383, whose production overlapped the 101.07403 by about 5 or 6 years.

wa5cab

Downloads Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Back to the interlock between power cross and traverse feed, the only three Atlas built machines that ever had it were the 101.07403, 101.27430 and 101.27440. Neither the Atlas 10F (including the QC) nor any of the later 1/2" bed machines have it. So any time spent trying to turn a 10D-38 into an L6-38 is, in my opinion, time wasted. If the machine is turning a part by running the carriage toward the headstock (which is normal) and you engage power crossfeed, the carriage will move toward the operator, not dig the cutter in deeper. It won't be a good pass but it won't hurt anything, either. Normally, if you turn a part to diameter and then need to face off the end, you have to stop the motor, switch the tumbler to the other position, and restart the motor.

However, everyone is free to do as they wish. :)

Orangecrush

First off, thank you everyone for replying to this post.

Did anyone happen to look at the pictures I posted on my last post? I was wondering if I have everything in the correct place? Not so much the carriage assembly, but the gears and pulleys. I'm pretty sure I have everything where it is supposed to be, and I don't have any left over parts laying around. LoL

Okay let's start with Jon's reply about the QCTP. Once I get the Lathe back together again. The only thing I have to try out the Lathe and it's cutting ability is the rocker style tool post. So I'll be messing around with that until I can get something better. Plus I already have just about every cutting attachment that goes with the rocker tool post. I have heard that the AXA wedge type QCTP work really well with these old Atlas Craftsman Lathe's. And I have looked at a few places that sell them. Shars seems to have a good price on their AXA, so I might go with what they have.

And on a parting note Jon, if or when you have time. Please take some pictures of your Atlas horizontal mill and Atlas Lathe. I would love to see what your machines look like compared to mine.

Next is good old Robert, and if you don't know Robert. He is a plethora of information on these mills and lathes!!! This guy has helped me out quite a few times with my mill and lathe. And always goes above and beyond to help me with my questions.

Okay enough about Robert, let's get back to the Q&A. LoL About the motor issue with 1/2hp versus 1/3hp since I already have the 1/2hp motor wired up with a forward and reverse switch. I'm going to put that one on the Lathe, that is after I take it off the mill. The old 1/3hp motor will end up on the mill. Plus the 1/2hp motor is a capacitor start motor and the 1/3hp is really old and will probably be a good match for the mill. And there is no reason to have a forward and reverse switch on the mill that I know of?

Now let's get into the miter gear issue. Though it looked as if the miter gear might have sheared off at one point. I've looked at it quite a few times and to me. I just don't see any obvious area inside the miter gear were the internal key might have sheared off? And another thing that is kind of strange, is that the Scroll does not have the flat area for the Plunger to go into for the cross feed?

Just seems to me that "if" the Scroll did have a flat area. Then it would make sense that the miter gear might have sheared off at one point because of something in the carriage assembly being locked up. Or like Robert is saying, that maybe someone crashed the carriage assembly into the chuck.

Okay, now that I have talked about the above mentioned. Let's get into Robert's last post about the interlock between the power cross feed and the traverse feed. So I guess what you are saying is, that when you pull the knob for the power cross feed. That the cross feed will go in the opposite direction coming back instead of going forward when you are facing off a part. Did I get that right? I'm not sure of the 10D-38 you speak of, only the L6-38 which is the Scroll (which in the PDF looks to be round). So if you could, please entertain us with your knowledge of the L6-38 and where I can find it.

Thanks again guys for all your help. It is truly appreciated!!!

[6]
[5] [7]