New to me "Jone not JET"

Old96er

Registered
Registered
I am not even sure which clone I have or if it is really a RF or how to tell them apart, but it is mine. ;)
It does have what appears to be an identical quill and I found this section of the forum when I was searching for the bearings that I knew that would fit. The model number just says 2666-0515, the sticker on the front says Rutland Tool & Supply, CA

So far I have it completely apart and am replacing all the bearings, belts, and lubing, cleaning, maybe painting. I plan to add some jog buttons for fwd and rev. I already have a 3 axiz DRO as you can see in the pics.

1. What should I call this thing, aka is there a clone number that matches this?

2. Any other must have mods?

3. For those that have used angular contact bearings on their spindle, how did you preload them?

It seems that the cheaper ones are 40 degree ball angle units, so it seems that you could just tighten the nuts pretty tight and not worry about it. I do have a infrared temp gun so I figure that will tell me if I went too crazy. My top speed is only around 1400 or so? I have not measured it yet. It is a 1986 Taiwan model with a Clausing style variable speed counter-shaft drive.

mill_pic2.PNGmill_pic.PNG

Last edited:
Now that's unusual- I've never seen one like that before
Looks like a robust drive system with the 3 spindle belts
-Mark

I am not even sure which clone I have or if it is really a RF or how to tell them apart, but it is mine. ;)
It does have what appears to be an identical quill and I found this section of the forum when I was searching for the bearings that I knew that would fit. The model number just says 2666-0515, the sticker on the front says Rutland Tool & Supply, CA

So far I have it completely apart and am replacing all the bearings, belts, and lubing, cleaning, maybe painting. I plan to add some jog buttons for fwd and rev. I already have a 3 axiz DRO as you can see in the pics.

1. What should I call this thing, aka is there a clone number that matches this?

2. Any other must have mods?

3. For those that have used angular contact bearings on their spindle, how did you preload them?

It seems that the cheaper ones are 40 degree ball angle units, so it seems that you could just tighten the nuts pretty tight and not worry about it. I do have a infrared temp gun so I figure that will tell me if I went too crazy. My top speed is only around 1400 or so? I have not measured it yet. It is a 1986 Taiwan model with a Clausing style variable speed counter-shaft drive.

View attachment 362073View attachment 362074
It’s about time!
You joined six years ago. We would love to hear more from you.
That’s a nice machine you have there. With all new parts, it will sing!
Please post your progress!

Not sure who made that thing but it sure is cool!

Rong Fu mills have a different casting at the base. The RF-31 has a 4" diameter column. The ring that supports the height adjuster rack typically sits on the top of the base column. My guess is that this is not a Rong Fu or it is a very different model that I've not seen before.

Now that's unusual- I've never seen one like that before
Looks like a robust drive system with the 3 spindle belts
-Mark
It is definitely a copy of a Clausing for the speed control. Other searches have said the mill was made by RF, but I don't know for sure. The quill looks exactly like others have posted, right down to the twin spanner nuts and slots to knock out a MT drill chuck but this is of course R8. :) That is what killed the bearings on this thing. The open slots let a chip or two in there.

I thought that this machine might be pretty common but I guess not, I will have to take some more pictures when I get it back together.

Here is the Clausing drive without the 2 speed motor/belt connection.
variable drive mill clausing.PNG

Last edited:
Jeff, he's just not as chatty as some people. Nice looking piece....

It’s about time!
You joined six years ago. We would love to hear more from you.
That’s a nice machine you have there. With all new parts, it will sing!
Please post your progress!
Yeah well, work, kids, etc. I am finally getting more serious, next is a lathe.

It is definitely a copy of a Clausing for the speed control. Other searches have said the mill was made by RF, but I don't know for sure. The quill looks exactly like others have posted, right down to the twin spanner nuts and slots to knock out a MT drill chuck but this is of course R8. :) That is what killed the bearings on this thing. The open slots let a chip or two in there.

I thought that this machine might be pretty common but I guess not, I will have to take some more pictures when I get it back together.

Here is the Clausing drive without the 2 speed motor/belt connection.
View attachment 362079

If it is a Clausing drive then could this not be a Clausing machine? I have never seen an Asian machine with this kind of drive. The other thing that strikes me is the small diameter of the column. It looks more appropriate for a drill press than a milling machine. However, I don't know if that would translate into a real world lack of rigidity.

Regardless, this is an interesting machine. Keep us posted!

I can't help with identifying your machine but I don't believe it's a Rong Fu design. I know a guy who's father has a mill/drill that looks just like that with the Reeves drive. His is a Jet, IIRC it's model # JMD-20VS-1

Probably a long shot but you can try calling MSC to see if they have any info on it. MSC is who bought out Rutland. Rutland didn't actually make their own machines, they just rebadge them as many other machining supply houses do.

Back