New (to me) Logan 200

Nameplate Removal Update:

Came back from my road trip last night and was itch’n to try to get something done.

Mrbreezeet1 - thanks for the idea concerning drive screw removal with a chisel. I planned to try that first, then try to grind some flats if that didn’t work, then just grind the heads off if nothing else worked.

My chisel talents aren’t so great. I sharpened a punch/chisel and used some aluminum tape to try to protect the nameplate. My first hit took a chunk out of the chisel edge. Darn, those screw heads are hard. Maybe too steep an angle… Flipped the chisel over, tried again… Second chisel edge now gone. OK,maybe I shouldn’t be using a 2 lb. hammer. I reached for an old wood chisel to try again, but stopped myself before I broke that. Started hunting for Dremel tool cutters, but decided to give the wood chisel a second try.

The sharp edge of the wood chisel was able to get under the edge of the nameplate. I laid the flat edge of the chisel against the casting and gently tapped inward on alternating sides adjacent to each drivescrew. This lifted the screws up without any damage to the nameplate. Image attached. Now I can finish cleaning up that casting.

Many thanks for all the great ideas to get that thing off. This is really a great forum in that so many folks are willing to share their experiences. I had no idea where to start, and would have made a real mess if I went for my initial plan of just trying to drill those screws out.

Thanks again, TomKro.

20130805DL 065 smaller.jpg

20130805DL 065 smaller.jpg

Glad you had success. It will make your restoration a lot nicer. Thanks for the update.

Last edited:
Man!

Good going!! Sure wish I had had all that great advice when I took my nameplate off. Didn't know nuthin from drive screws. Just chiseled the heads off. Now I've got shanks stuck in the holes, just begging to eat a lot of tiny drill bits! :angry:

Man!

Good going!! Sure wish I had had all that great advice when I took my nameplate off. Didn't know nuthin from drive screws. Just chiseled the heads off. Now I've got shanks stuck in the holes, just begging to eat a lot of tiny drill bits! :angry:

Can't you just drive them in/through with a thin punch,& let them fall out the back, or is the headstock sealed up?

Can't you just drive them in/through with a thin punch,& let them fall out the back, or is the headstock sealed up?

Most of the time they are blind holes in the gear box casting. If they were through holes the oil would leak out. Or the casting is just too thick to be a through hole.

- - - Updated - - -

Man!

I think at this point I would just drive the shanks down below the surface and body fill the holes. Then, reposition the nameplate and drill a new set of mounting holes. Just a suggestion.

I think at this point I would just drive the shanks down below the surface and body fill the holes. Then, reposition the nameplate and drill a new set of mounting holes. Just a suggestion.
And not a bad one!

Sure wish I'd known about drive screws. I hate bodging stuff. :angry:

Most of the time they are blind holes in the gear box casting. If they were through holes the oil would leak out. Or the casting is just too thick to be a through hole.

- - - Updidn't know they were blind holes.dated - - -

that is you best bet Good Idea. (edit; I would use a small bit of JB weld) build a little high, and level with a small sanding block.

Last edited:
Thanks Gentlemen,

One more thing, I have used JB Weld in place of bodyfiller. I find it to ge a good substitute. It finishes very nicely.

Thanks Gentlemen,

One more thing, I have used JB Weld in place of bodyfiller. I find it to ge a good substitute. It finishes very nicely.

Sorry Randy, had not read your post before editing mine.

Sorry Randy, had not read your post before editing mine.

Hey, we are on the same page. :thumbsup: I guess great minds really do think alike. Not sure if you missed my post or I just missed yours. Keep up the good work.

Back