Newbie needing help with 820

The bearings came in this week so I started on Thursday building one headstock from two. Cleaned up about everything I would need from the both of them, and chose the best ones to use.

Put the back gears into place (that was a challenge like a couple of transmissions I've rebuilt) but finally got everything lined up and the back gear lever in place, proper gear mesh, and then moved on.

Installed it on the bed after cleaning that up, and took it for a test turn.

IT"S STRAIGHT!!
I'm happy now and on to some projects.

Totaled up my tags and I have roughly $340 in repair parts, and another $85+ in new/replacement tooling.
I think I'll splurge on a quick change tool post next.
Thanks again for all of your input. Time for a new thread on projects.

Should be a good one when your done, I'm guessing it went over backwards as the dials, handles , knobs look intact. Dose the motor sit out back? .

Ps: is that a KLR in your avatar, had one in AR sold it when I moved here.

Should be a good one when your done, I'm guessing it went over backwards as the dials, handles , knobs look intact. Dose the motor sit out back? .

Ps: is that a KLR in your avatar, had one in AR sold it when I moved here.

I never really understood "HOW" it went over after hearing the three or four variations of the story. But it works pretty good now, and that's all that matters to me.
And yes, the motor hangs off the back on the pedestal mount.

And yes Derrick, that's my trusty KLR. Just a little 54,000 miles on that thing and I'll be starting some projects for luggage mounts, etc. on it soon with the lathe. You should get another one since you're up there in Oroville. There's a ton of places to ride up there. A buddy lives up in Butte Meadows and keeps telling me to come up and visit, then use his place for a base to ride out of for a couple of days. Might take him up on it this fall.

Last edited:
Back