Non Marring Shc Screws...?

I usually just face the end of the screw, drill it and fit a Delrin tip with a nub to fit the hole in the end of the screw. Last for years, does not mar and locks down solidly. If locking onto a dovetail, I make a separate insert with the nose of the insert matching to slope of the dovetail. The rear of the insert is flat and the locking screw bears on that end.

I usually just face the end of the screw, drill it and fit a Delrin tip with a nub to fit the hole in the end of the screw. Last for years, does not mar and locks down solidly. If locking onto a dovetail, I make a separate insert with the nose of the insert matching to slope of the dovetail. The rear of the insert is flat and the locking screw bears on that end.

That's what I had in mind, but I don't have any Delrin. I'll have to order some from McMasters. Excellent.

EDIT: I found the shorter pieces of Acetal rod for less from Msc and free shipping.
Mike, Did you use acetal w/PTFE? slippery delrin?

Last edited:
I hate to say this but those of you who are shooting sports people a HMR 17 or .223 copper jacketed Lead bullet tip makes a nor marring sub for a factory made non marring set screw. If you want to make a brass one then do so but this works.

That's what I had in mind, but I don't have any Delrin. I'll have to order some from McMasters. Excellent.

EDIT: I found the shorter pieces of Acetal rod for less from Msc and free shipping.
Mike, Did you use acetal w/PTFE? slippery delrin?

Just plain acetal/Delrin rod - its all I have in my stash.

On smaller set screws I have used .090 weed eater line.

Back