Now Here's A "diamond In The Rough" Project!

Paul_NJ

Registered
Registered
A number of years ago I picked up (what I believe is a) Van Norman 1/2 base with a Bridgeport head modified into it via a "clamped collet arrangement". I disassembled it to move it to my workshop barn, and it's been sitting there ever since. Hoping to clean, paint, and reassemble it this winter. Viable project or a "fools errand"??!IMGP0009.JPG IMGP0010a.JPG IMGP0011.JPG IMGP0012.JPG

That should make a very useful project. The M-head is a perfect match for it. What taper is the M-head?

Hey Paul,

That is definitely a great project that will leave you with a useful tool when complete.

Any idea the age of the parts?

I cannot quite tell from the photos, does it have adjustable gibs for the dovetails?
That question is on my mind because I have a circa 1913 horizontal mill patiently waiting for a rebuild and I am trying to decide if I could/should mill a tapered groove in the dovetails to fit in a tapered adjustable gib. I was supposed to get to it last winter.

-brino

That should make a very useful project. The M-head is a perfect match for it. What taper is the M-head?
Ah, yes, the taper. Can you tell me what that means and how I can determine that? Sorry, I'm a complete novice - I'm hoping to learn from rebuilding this machine.

Hey Paul,

That is definitely a great project that will leave you with a useful tool when complete.

Any idea the age of the parts?

I cannot quite tell from the photos, does it have adjustable gibs for the dovetails?
That question is on my mind because I have a circa 1913 horizontal mill patiently waiting for a rebuild and I am trying to decide if I could/should mill a tapered groove in the dovetails to fit in a tapered adjustable gib. I was supposed to get to it last winter.

-brino
Sorry, you'll have to help me with this one . . . where/what are the dovetails/gib? Ah yes . . . I have many "I was supposed to get to it last winters" as well!

Hi Paul ,I'm a bit south of you in jersey, looks like a great project to start with. The parts of the machine you will learn as you go. The taper they're asking about is the bore of the head , the collet type it takes, the m head took a couple of types . Good luck with her.

If you have a problem figuring out what something is just post a picture and someone will help you out. None of us like to see a machine setting idle. There's a lot of people here to help you learn as you go.

If you have a problem figuring out what something is just post a picture and someone will help you out. None of us like to see a machine setting idle. There's a lot of people here to help you learn as you go.
Thanks Bill. That's the encouragement I need. Sure love to put this thing back together. Looks like the Bridgeport head is an "M" . . . .
P1020010.JPG

Back