Oiler

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Do you guys have a favorite oil can? Lots of people are fond of the Eagle 66. These are my favorite. I use the old style with cap removed for my Tap Magic. The articulating one lets me get in the tough places and doesn't leak a drop.

--ChipIMG_0474.JPG

I use those as well -- Eagles are hard to find around here. Brilliant idea of using the base of the thump style one as a brush can!

-frank

I have a couple of the Goldenrod pump oil cans as well. They work very well and are not 'leaky'. I have one can that is brown, and another that is red. The brown one is used for way oil, and the red one is for spindle oil. I also have a small blue one (different brand) that I use for tapping/cutting oil.

I have nothing against the Eagle cans, but the Goldenrods seem to be what everyone has available around here.

I do not think I have any goldenrods or eagles, I do have a couple of american made ones not sure of the model that info is no longer on them. I have been going to the swampmeets here in So. Calif. every week during the week for many years and have yet to see one like I see on some of the youtubes. I do say I have been able to purchase many machinist tools at some great prices and that has helped me have some tool that I would never be able to afford or own.

Do you guys have a favorite oil can? Lots of people are fond of the Eagle 66. These are my favorite. I use the old style with cap removed for my Tap Magic. The articulating one lets me get in the tough places and doesn't leak a drop.

--ChipView attachment 108221
I have a oil can named gustave linseed marked force feed and pump will only pump up side down gotogojo

Wait.

There are oil cans that don't leak?!! <laugh>

I've got about a half dozen, old and new, that leak like a sieve. I despise them all so much I've almost considered machining something. I'll have to look for Goldenrod or Eagles.

I usually turn steel, but recently I've found myself turning boatloads of aluminum now that I'm doing runs of parts. I use straight Kerosene in a spray bottle, decently slick, doesn't stink, dries in a day or so, leaves a corrosive inhibiting film behind and is cheap. For difficult low-heat tasks like threading I use used motor oil, I'll use it more when I figure out a lathe fume extractor and filter. For used motor oil I use an eagle oiler, not a 66 but close. A paddle trigger not a button, and a flared base.

Back