Old Brown & Sharpe 10" dividing head

Ken,
I knew it was old because of the off center index handle and it doesn't have rollor bearings for the spindle. I have a PDF copy of the B&S 1913 catalog that shows dividing heads with the offset handle. I also have a pdf of a old copy of the B&S #2 mill manual that show the dividing head as having bearings.

Last edited:
I finished the pop up oilers today.
Next on the list is a thread gauge for the spindle so I can make a face plate, chuck adapter and spindle thread protector cap.

DSCF1669.jpg

DSCF1668.jpg

DSCF1665.jpg

DSCF1660.jpg

DSCF1659.jpg

DSCF1669.jpg

DSCF1668.jpg

DSCF1665.jpg

DSCF1660.jpg

DSCF1659.jpg

Last edited:
Too bad I didn't see that center last week when it didn't sell for $25. Somebody wanted worst than me and paid $45 plus shipping this week.:nuts:

I'll just set up the taper attachment on my lathe then turn and grind one from some prehardened 4142 I have. I have a #10 B&S reamer that I cleaned the spindle bore up with that I'll use to set the taper attachment.

I've just acquired a very similar 10" B&S dividing head. I've started to take it apart today. The one thing that seems frozen is the knurled knob on the "non crank" side. It seems to connect to a small gear that runs through to the crank side. I noticed that in the first pictures of this thread that your machine has the same thing. For the life of me I can't figure out what this is for!! (And I'm not looking forward to fabricating a chuck backplate with their goofy 2-1/4 x 4-1/2" thread)

That knob turns a gear inside to rotate the worm in and out of engagement. The unknurled part is a lock nut. Loosen it first and then you can rotate the knurled knob to dis-engage the worm so you can turn the spindle by hand.

I never did find a complete dead center for the dividing head but I did find a #10 B&S center with the straight diameter for the bar to drive a lathe dog. I made the bar based on the picture of the one that sold on Ebay for $45.

View attachment 60575

OldMachinist,

Looks original to me!

Nice job!

Don I've been looking for that manual but I guess I've lost it or put it away where it would be safe.

I had up loaded it to the old site but it never made it here. I guess it went to the same place as mine.

The bar looks good but mine doesn't have the locking bolts on it.

Paul

Back