Old Drill Press Identification?

Superburban

Registered
Registered
Anybody recognize this old DP? I'm awaiting a reply from the seller, buthoping someone can identify this in the mean time.

Thanks George00R0R_q61MuqR47F_600x450.jpg

Looks like it's 100 or more years old, not sure what knowing the brand would be worth?

It looks a lot like an old LeLand Gifford Dp , there is a nice one on Craig's list,, sand city ca.

I was considering purchasing that machine but don't have room for it now.
Things to consider and look for....
As the table doesn't move it will be less convenient to center parts.
Is it capable of multiple speeds? How are they achieved?
What speed ranges does it have? Are they for metal or wood ?
Check the bearings. They may be brass or babbit.
Check the shaft condition. Are they worn where they ride in the bearings?
The picture doesn't show how the motion is transfered to the spindle.
If its 90deg bevel gears, those can be ruined and are very expensive to purchase. Look closely at their profile.
Many old machines used a simple ball thrust bearing at each end of the spindle however the thrust was carried by the hard or semi hard spindle shaft
running in the cast iron spindle sleeve or " cartridge ". That could be an expensive fix depending on the damage to the shaft and cartridge.
The cartridge has to move up and down with a close fit top and bottom. If it's been used dirty or without lube it may be another difficult fix.
It is a grand old machine and for the price the casting and parts are well worth it but you would need to be able to reasonably repair it or have a use for the parts.
If you do purchase it I hope you'll give us some good pictures and a report on its condition.
Jim

I think I identified it as a Henery wright. it has a lot in common as this pic.

Henry & Wright drill press 01.jpg

I'm still up in the air. I was thinking I could use the quill to upgrade one of my Fosdick heads to MT3. or 4. and maybe use the base to mount another head to be used on the other side of the shop. This is an old pic of of my Fosdick (from the purchase, not in my workshop), I have all 4 heads, two are currently mounted, leaving a great workbench. photo 2 (2).jpg

The downside of the Fosdick, is the MT2 spindle, I have a ton of MT3 drills that I can only use in my lathe.

It's good to see an entire machine. Thanks for posting.
Too bad you cant use the components.
Wish I had more room or I might have already bought it. Probably around 20 cents a pound.
Looks like three speeds shown or it could be six speed.
If it's still tight it would be a heavy duty bit driver.

I wish I could find more about the design. I'm still tossing it around. I wish someone else would buy it, and put me out of my misery.

HA! That's how I feel. It'll take me at least year to get my space sorted and projects organized so it would just be another thing taking up valuable room.
Still, I want it. Got to get that under control.

Back