Old gasoline generator repairs

Couple of weeks ago i bought two small generators they both "run" the smaller one needed an carb cleaning and now runs good, the Bosch uses an Tecumseh HS40 engine which has a blown head gasket, and only runs for couple of seconds and dies, the generator works so is worth repairing it.
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0020.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0003.JPG

H
the 50 hz can be "adjusted" with the throttle of the engine. speed the engine up and the hz will change. just keep an eye on the voltage cause it rises too. unless its an inverter. then you cant. but, it doesnt look like an inverter.. hard to tell.

I'm sure this engine has a blown head gasket because i can see combustion exiting when it runs, so i disassemble the pull start and the front cover wich is hold on with the head bolt and remove the head, after examining everything, looks like someone has changed the head gasket recently but hasn't clean the surfaces at all, and the material from the previous gasket was creating a gap. After the examination i used some gasoline to clean all the surfaces the carbon cleaned up pretty easy, then i used strath edges and a feeler gauge to check the surfaces for flatness, the cylinder was absolutely flat, on the head there was two spots with 0,05 mm but i managed to resurface it with couple of fresh pieces of sandpaper on a flat piece of glass, the cylinder wall looks in excellent shape the hone marks are still visible so it has has very little use.
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0002.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0010.JPGDSC_0015.JPGDSC_0016.JPGDSC_0018.JPG

While it's apart Ck the valve clearances they should be 10 thou slip . They not hard to do. The torque should be about 17 ft pounds on the head bolts . The longest go around the exhaust valve corner. If they aren't all the same size. The jets in the carb are probably clogged . There's a very tiny hole on an angle in the screw in jet on the bottom of the bowl plus a larger thru one . If it's adjustable start with the bottom at 1 3/4 turns out . The low side is thru the side above the bowl . Shake your float if bad you'll hear and feel the liquid inside. More help if you need it just holler

Back