Old Speedway Mill.

Welcome to the forum WalterC!

For the others... GA knows WalterC from another forum, suggested this forum from a conversation about machines on the other forum.

Glad you made it over... browse around and make yourself at home!

GA

Thanks GA. I have spent a lot of time reading and listening. It is a fascinating subject.

I have the same drill press made in Taiwan and I've been very happy with it. Very smooth running and tight. However, I was under the impression that you couldn't mill with a morse taper type quill without some kind of drawbar to hold it in the quill. I didn't see anyone mention this. Wouldn't the side load of milling dislodge the MT shank?

To answer Bourbon, if one has the tapered collets that mate to the machine and the appropriate drawbar, yes, you can mill with that machine-no, you can't mill with a "Jacobs" style chuck.

The local Harbor-Freight-esque store had one in a corner on the floor with a bunch of missing parts. Just as the old boy that owned the store was nearing selling it to me for $250 (it was marked $800 or some such) he died from brain cancer.

Homier used to be based out of a town about an hour from here and they had many of those in all sizes, etc. Yeah, I lusted after one.

I think it would make a fantastic fairly precise drill press and if one was realistic in their expectations, it would make a fine milling machine.

Be careful though. It wasn't that long ago I got my first piece of machinery and now I'm in a position where a friend visited Sunday evening and asked me in which direction was I going to expand my shop-LOL! I had to turn down a piece of machinery due to space considerations

I have the same drill press made in Taiwan and I've been very happy with it. Very smooth running and tight. However, I was under the impression that you couldn't mill with a morse taper type quill without some kind of drawbar to hold it in the quill. I didn't see anyone mention this. Wouldn't the side load of milling dislodge the MT shank?

There is a draw bar on this one. In fact, I had to make another one (3/8- 16) since the collets I ordered come with that size. The original is metric.

Not being able to find the length I needed, I had to make one.

Homer sold two sizes of the drill mill. The larger one appeared to be similar to HF and others except that it took Morse 3 collets.

The smaller one was in the 250# range. I looked at one at the San Antonio show and thought it too small for my needs.

whichever you made a good buy. If it weighs over 500# you made a great buy.

For $100 that's a steal. Gulf Oil colors were an excellent choice for the repaint .

69_Porsche-917K_num2-DV-10-MH-05.jpg

I recently acquired the same Drill/Mill so you information that it has a 2MT is a help. I had one broken plastic wheel handle, I found metal M10-25 replacements on Ebay for under $8 shipped.

I thought of the Gulf Oil colors when I saw it too! I was thinking of a different car type though! Great find, can't beat that for the price.
ford_gt40__1968__studio_by_laffonte-d5r8o7i.jpg

ford_gt40__1968__studio_by_laffonte-d5r8o7i.jpg

The mill had a habit of loose bolts at the column base. Deforming the bolts with a hammer in the right place and re-installing them fixed it for me. A primitive but effective fix.
I don't use it much for a drill press, so I am only using one of the handles that doesn't get in the way when cutting certain depths.

My old shop was drab enough and when painting the lathe, I had enough paint left over to do the same to it. For some reason though, it is hard to match the grey color for aesthetics.

Before and after;

Honden%20Lathe%202%20001_zpsydxowq8f.jpg Honden%20Lathe%207%20004_zpswqfcavfi.jpg

Honden%20Lathe%202%20001_zpsydxowq8f.jpg

Honden%20Lathe%207%20004_zpswqfcavfi.jpg

Back