Old Speedway Mill.

That looks more like a drill press with a positioning table than a milling machine, however using small cutters (less cutting force) in the chuck should be just fine if you keep your cuts small.

Great job with the new paint and cleanup!

I tend to agree it looks more like a fancy drill press. Also the power switch is not reversible. I do like it though. Put a light mill vise on it and you have a winner. If it can support a DRO you have one smart drill press. Nice job cleaning and repainting it. I hope she serves you well for many years.

I recently acquired the same model also, but can't supply much technical information about it and keep hoping someone will come up with a manual or at least some old sales brochure.

I agree it is a better drill press than mill because the Z axis (Up & Down) does not have a fine adjustment, which is a real shame because my table is right on. I haven't done much with milling other than some surfacing and as long as you take small bites it did what I needed. As a drill press it works great, because of the table. It does have a recessed light that takes a regular bulb and works well to illuminate the work surface. The motor has plenty of power for the size of the machine. As far as the limited information I can find these Speedway drill/mills were made in China and distributed here by a company called Homier Distributing Co.

Earlier this summer, I dug my mill out of my parent's basement. It's been sitting there unassembled for over a decade. Here's the information I found on it.

Drill/Mill Machine
Speedway Series (Homier)

Model:

DTMACH 34-03989

Motor:
3/4 HP, 56 frame, 10.6 A

Lever handles:
M12 x 1.75 mm

Revolving Handles:
M10 x 1.5 mm

Taper:
MT2 taper

Included Stock Arbor:
MT2 taper to B18 with M10 drawbar thread

Included Stock Drawbar:
M10 x 1.50 mm x 275 mm

Replacement Imperial Drawbar:
3/8"-16 x 10-3/4"

Speed:
390-480-600-780-960-1080-1620-1750-2150-2280-3259-3950

Max. Drilling Capacity:
5/8" (16 mm)

Max. Diameter of Vertical Milling:
1/2" (12 mm)

Max. Width of Face Milling:
1-1/2" (40 mm)

Table slots:
7/16"

Table movement:
9-3/4" x 4-3/8"

Earlier this summer, I dug my mill out of my parent's basement. It's been sitting there unassembled for over a decade. Here's the information I found on it.

Drill/Mill Machine
Speedway Series (Homier)

Model:

DTMACH 34-03989

Motor:
3/4 HP, 56 frame, 10.6 A

Lever handles:
M12 x 1.75 mm

Revolving Handles:
M10 x 1.5 mm

Taper:
MT2 taper

Included Stock Arbor:
MT2 taper to B18 with M10 drawbar thread

Included Stock Drawbar:
M10 x 1.50 mm x 275 mm

Replacement Imperial Drawbar:
3/8"-16 x 10-3/4"

Speed:
390-480-600-780-960-1080-1620-1750-2150-2280-3259-3950

Max. Drilling Capacity:
5/8" (16 mm)

Max. Diameter of Vertical Milling:
1/2" (12 mm)

Max. Width of Face Milling:
1-1/2" (40 mm)

Table slots:
7/16"

Table movement:
9-3/4" x 4-3/8"

Thanks for the info.
The mill works very well. I commonly use it on small parts and have good luck with the 3/8 bit and smaller. I found some loose places in it, got those tightened up and it does cut very well. It will handle deeper cuts than one would imagine and never shows signs of straining.
I haven't used it as a drill press- I have two already that are still tight and accurate.

Hi everyone. I came across this site while trying to find some info about the Speedway Mini Mill/Drill. If you can believe it I picked one up from a guy who had it sitting in his garage for years, still in the box, unopened. He only wanted $80 so it was too good to pass up. I saw someone asked about the manual, mine actually came with the manual so I scanned it. I'll upload the PDF.

I'm primarily a hobby woodworker and a total newbie when it comes to machining so go easy on me. Some light hobby gunsmithing is about the extent of my metalworking experience. That said, does anyone know where I can find a collet or an end mill holder for this thing? Or is my best bet to replace the drawbar with a 3/8"-16 x 10-3/4"? Any help is appreciated.

Chris

Attachments

• Speedway DTMACH34 03989 Mill Drill Manual.pdf
    9 MB · Views: 58
I just mounted an old drill press vise on it to play around with it a little. Haven't had too much time to really do any work with it just yet. Just put it together the other night but like I said it's brand new out of the box. I'll upload a picture. Nothing appears to be wrong with it except for a broken knob which I can easily fix or replace.

MillDrill.JPG

Last edited:
I still have mine and I have milled quite a bit on it. I had to make the drawbar and bought the collets for it. If you go over a 3/8" end mill, take it easy- I learned quickly what happens when your stock jams in the bit- thank goodness it was aluminum. A good machine to learn mistakes on.
I have milled all types of metals and stock with no problems- it is slower of course than a heavier machine and it has limits, but it holds tight and gets the job done.
Get a set of collets for it and a drawbar and end mills and have fun.

I like that color better than the orange.

I added a light. When you lower it using an end mill, the whole machine becomes more stable- a cheap vise works ok for the smaller work. You might add a cover for the rear to keep chips out of the threaded rods.

I'm still looking patiently for a bigger machine I can afford.

DSCN0103_zpsuih5nmr4.jpg

DSCN0103_zpsuih5nmr4.jpg

DSCN0103_zpsuih5nmr4.jpg

DSCN0103_zpsuih5nmr4.jpg

DSCN0103_zpsuih5nmr4.jpg

DSCN0103_zpsuih5nmr4.jpg

Back