opinions on entry level outside micrometers.

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I'm in the market for a 1"-2" micrometer,I already have two Chinese vernier 0 - 1" but now I'm looking for a 1-2".
As you know there are all kinds and types of micrometers out there, electronic digital, mechanical digital, digital with vernier scale, or no scale at all, and the old non digital vernier.prices range between $50 to $500.
What do you guys use ,how many do you have? what's you go to outside micrometer?

I have seen Tubalcain using a mechanical digital type but I'm not sure if they'll last long unless I get a quality brand like Mitutoyo ,I most likely will buy an electronic digital type but even those come in two types, those with vernier scale and the other type (that I like the most) which only has a plastic thimble/ratchet stop .
I don't measure anything supercritical so the entry level will most likely will be alright but I'd like to know what you think ,electronic/digital with vernier scale or without the scale? or just a vernier micrometer like my one inch Chinese one that has served me well for a while:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mitutoyo-1-2-25-50mm-0-00005-0-001mm-Digital-Micrometer/302525609960?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0725VYCC3/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1HK3L7YV3DGPV&colid=U1FASJ1VAXTT

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0333298
0344618_hr4c.jpg
61UJesjQV3L._SL1100_.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

i have a few old Starrett, and old JT Slocomb mic's in the 1-2" range.
both brands were found inexpensive and then i reconditioned and recalibrated them.

if i were to buy a new mic, i'd get a Mitutoyo Digit micrometer, not to be confused with a digital mic. :grin:

1510883395894.png

Last edited:
I am perfectly happy with my vernier tenths standard mics. My sets are Mitutoyo and Starrett, bought used but in like new condition. Calibrate and go. Other brands are also good, but I would stay away from the Chinese ones, which are usable but not very nice, and cost as much new as a very good mic costs used. A good mic, treated well, will last a lifetime for a working machinist, many lifetimes for a hobby machinist. Just learn how to use them correctly and take proper care of them, and store them properly. I do not have any digital mics, mechanical or electronic, and I am not looking for them at any price. If I was a full time working machinist, my choices might well be different...

My daily driver is a Japanese made NSK that was given to me new for my 12th birthday more than 40 years ago. After that, a Starrett, a Moore & Wright, and a little Brown and Sharpe that's been around the block a few times. None are electronic, and with the exception of the NSK all were purchased used. I do occasionally get a hankering for a mechanical digit-type mic but I don't really need one. At the moment, machining is strictly a hobby for me.

-frank

I have bought more than one Mitutoyo and Starrett off of ebay and have been very happy with every one. Well there was one Mitutoyo that was completely encased in some sort of hard shell. Possibly cosmoline gone bad? Took several hours of work to remove it all (no mention of that in the item description :) . Still it works just fine now that I have cleaned it up.

I have some Companion mics made in the USA, several Starrets, and some cheap Chinese ones. For most things I use the cheap Chinese ones. They get me within a thousandth, and I can always grab a gage block that's close to what I am measuring to see how close it is if I want to get closer.

I've got one of those cheap digital analogs that I use almost every day. Its about .0003 off at half an inch. I just happen to measure a lot of things that are about half an inch with it. LOL. Someday I'll adjust it.

I have bought more than one Mitutoyo and Starrett off of ebay and have been very happy with every one. Well there was one Mitutoyo that was completely encased in some sort of hard shell. Possibly cosmoline gone bad? Took several hours of work to remove it all (no mention of that in the item description :) . Still it works just fine now that I have cleaned it up.
is it possibly some kind of wax??
i have a perfectly preserved surface gauge encased in a plasticy/waxy substance that i haven't had the courage to try to remove the surface gauge from.

I am strictly an amateur, I have an analog, and a digital dial caliper(among others). I sometimes prefer the analog, because the digital is hard to repeat with the last couple of places flashing different numbers. It can make you crazy trying to be exact.

I revently purchased a set of the Igaging Absolute digital mics which seem very well made and are spot on accurate. I asked the seller to list a 1-2" and a 2-3" which is in the link below (he will also list individual ones). I already had a Mitutoyo 0-1", but always seems to be just too small. The Igaging Absolute has no thimble, just a full stroke thumb lever on the side so quick action and it automatically sets the tension. Checking a 1" gauge block with my 1-2", it measured 1.00000". Only down side is that you cannot measure the distance and then remove the mic to read it. Still, the Igaging is about 1/2 the price of the Mitutoyo in that size and my eyesight is going so digital is much easier. They also have a less expensive line, so you can get a 0-4" set for the same price. I have found Igaging measurement equipment to be well made and hold up well over time. Also be aware that there are a lot of counterfeit name brand measurement instruments, so make sure it is the real deal.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/iGaging-Ab...peed-Mic-Digital-Micrometer-IP65/182732083527
https://www.ebay.com/itm/iGaging-0-...er-Set-0-1-1-2-2-3-3-4-Large-LCD/182521175196

Back