Options for worn ways repair

Richard hasn't posted here since 2013.

I have participated in one of his scraping classes down here in Texas at Steve Watkins place at Navasota. I'm going to try to attend one of the days in February to see his new acquisition to his shop.

By all means, show us your progress on the machines as you work on them. And please post lots of pictures.

And if you hit a snag and can't figure out something, let us know, there are several of us highly knowledgeable in machine tool repair and reconditioning here and be willing to help.

Ken

Another quick fix for the gibb is to use slow drying epoxy glue, and adding plastic or micarta to the gibb back side, after checking with a feller gage to find out how much you need. I used to rebuild machine and we did that quire often. I f you want you can scrape the working side of the gibb flat also.

Another quick fix for the gibb is to use slow drying epoxy glue, and adding plastic or micarta to the gibb back side, after checking with a feller gage to find out how much you need. I used to rebuild machine and we did that quire often. I f you want you can scrape the working side of the gibb flat also.
This is how I was taught to do it. I've also used thin steel flat bar that I knew was flat, and on smaller gibs, I've also used feeler gage stock if the gaps were less than .030", too, along with shim stock. Most were secured with Epoxy glue. Ken

Back