Options On Purchasing New Mill

You really need to look at an eBay machinery ad with a lot of skepticism. What does it really show? What is guaranteed? Read the description and look at the photos carefully. Most machinery ads show poor pictures, say nothing about the condition, state that the machine has not been tested, and state that it is sold as is. The seller usually insists that the machine is sold where is. You will need to hire someone to pick it up, or go get it yourself. Before it is picked up, it is all yours. When you get it, you will have a machine you know very little about, and will have no assurance it will be usable at all. When you go to eBay for help, they will want to know what was misrepresented. Think about that. What did the seller represent with his poor photos and his disclaimers? eBay will not help you unless the seller made a verifiable mistake in the condition or terms, and the ads are carefully crafted to avoid that. You can very easily end up with a ton or two of expensive scrap metal and no recourse. If you are looking for a parts machine, perhaps. If you are looking for a major restoration machine, not so much. If you are looking for a plug and play machine, then you will likely be disappointed if it is not specifically represented to be a plug and play machine, and even then wear may be a big issue that eBay will not help you with if it is sold as "used."

I found my mill on eBay, However, I went to look at it before purchasing. I would be wary of buying a machine sight unseen, even new, but might take the chance buying remotely if the description was detailed, I got a good vibe from the seller and the price was right.

Yes found a few on CL close to my bro in Orlando, and he can look at them, kick the tires ya heard. Getting good vibe from ebay seller and they have video of it running and going through ways/clutch/gear changes etc but I understand the risk and cost of shipping so may bail on eBay idea. Appreciate the feedback.

Slim pickings here in the Gulf Coast where I am. Got an email back from Matt at Precision Matthews today (Saturday) and answered my questions! Im kinda a sucker for old US made machines and like idea of an old classic Bridgeport to go with my old Logan lathe but those Taiwan PM mills are pretty sexy. Not too sure on the Chinese ones, as will be keeping this for lifetime and beating it up Im sure...

watching this thread. interested in getting my 1st mill myself.

Back