Ouch!

drom68

Active User
Registered
Had a small but painful experience today. Made me think about the whole situation and want to bring up having an emergency plan.

Turned on the air compressor to put air in the lawn mower tires. A while back I had issues with the plastic guards and took them off. Been meaning to replace them and well today I reached for the air hose and had my fingers extended too far and I was not looking at what was touching, Fingers got whacked a few times by the plastic rotating fan. Felt the contact then heard the bbraaappp and then felt the pain. Immediately knew what I did.

I had made a point a while back to "know" what my actions would be in the case of an accident. I work alone and live in a rural area.
1.Stop any and all machinery: I only run one thing at a time.
2. Know what my surroundings are and pick my egress route toward the Trauma kit/phone in the shop
3. Asses the injury: I decided on looking at any injury last as it can bring on shock faster by seeing what damage was done.

Ended up with cuts on my fingers and broke a nail... no dislocations or broken bones. Went inside and used the house med kit. Ouch, just plain ouch.

Got the lawn mowed and thought about it for while. Have a plan, it will make things go smoother. Keep it as simple as possible.

Have first aid kits in the shop, in each car, in a couple of places in the house. Military did teach me to be prepared for most anything. have cut the end of my finger almost off, cleaned t off, and put it back like it went then bandaged it up and it did good. So know what loosing part of the finger nail is like so yea a sure you said a bit more than ouch.

For those that think it cannot happen, it is just a game of numbers if you are not careful something will happen then like drom68 said make sure your have a plan in place.

Excellent topic! I have injured myself as well and always keep a well stocked first aid kid at hand. Staying calm is the most important thing to keep in mind, especially if you are alone. Panick only bring on an adrenalin rush which increases heart rate and ultimately bleeding. It also make it hard to think clearly. I was taught to isolate the pain in your mind so that you can still think clearly. I do not need anesthetic to get stitches for example. It does freak the Doctor or nurse out who is working on you. I have had to stitch my own nose up before and that is hard to do because your eyes keep watering.

I'm a knifemaker, so it's entirely within the realm of possibility to cut myself badly. I have packs of Celox hanging in various places in the shop in case I open myself up badly enough to need it...

I have a history of wiping out and walking away unscathed, its weird. As a kid I was flying down a hill on a 10 speed bike, a car turned left in front of me at the intersection, I body slammed the passenger door, the window exploded, the door was completely caved in, the force of the impact knocked me clean out of the intersection and back up across the sidewalk into the grass, I don't know 25 feet maybe. My thumb was slightly bruised lol. A cop came to the accident, he walked around the car and saw the damage then rushed up to me to see if I was okay the poor guy was white as a ghost. Multiple totaled vehicles, falling down a flight of stairs, face plants, meh. I do seem overly susceptible to paper cuts though :burned up: I keep a box of band-aids handy.

Being single, living out in the country too far from neighbors for anyone to hear me yell for help I do keep my cell phone close just in case. I also avoid any type of activity where I may become trapped under something heavy. I have several fire extinguishers around the house. I'm careful around machinery, no jewelry, no long sleeves or gloves, I still remember my junior high shop safety class where the teacher told us about a student getting his finger ripped off in a drill press. :disillusion: Remember the good old days when you could scare the crap out of the students to make a point. lol

Last edited:
My wife wonders why I take my cell phone to my little shop that's attached to the house.

Years ago when we were part of a group of friends that used to go backpacking together, I was always the medic because I had some first aid training. In addition, I had mentioned it to my doctor who, it turned out, was also a backpacker. He basically set me up by giving me what I might need in the way of supplies. Only had to use my kit once. The wife accidentally sliced her leg while cutting something. The antiseptic and butterfly sutures worked like a charm, no scar whatsoever. This was before cell phones or GPS.

I also took the Army Combat Lifesaver Course a couple of times. I adapted the old Combat Lifesaver Bag checklist to equip my own first aid kit. I couldn't afford everything in the new list. The bag is a purse from the Salvation Army. Real leather, large enough, and under $10. It's also brown so that helps.

Anyway, this is what I keep in it:

First Aid Kit As of:_____________________________

1 FM 4-25.11 (December 2002) <--------- Army First Aid Manual, very good small book
1 7.25" Surgical Scissors
1 Pocket knife with spatula
1 TK4 Tourniquet
1 Splint Universal (36" x 4.5")
1 Nasopharyngeal Airway size 28 Fr (9.3 mm/0.37")
1 Wash cloth
2 pair disposable gloves
1 Cravat dressing - Army (37" x 37" x 52")
2 Pressure Dressings - Army
4 Compress and bandage - Army (2" x 2")
12 Butterfly sutures
1 Roll gauze (4.5" x 36")
1 Roll gauze (3" x 36")
2 Gauze pad (8" x 4")
4 Gauze pad (2" x 2")
1 Roll surgical tape (2")
1 Roll surgical tape (1/2")
1 Iodine bottle (2 oz.)
2 Cold packs
1 Ace type bandage (2" x 36")
10 Ammonia inhalants
1 Band-Aid (bundle)
1 Q-Tips (bundle)

_ _______________

_ _______________

_ _______________

The blanks after "As Of" are to remind me to inventory and update it at least once a year. The blanks on the bottom are in case I add anything.

It didn't cost very much, it's centrally located in the house, and everybody knows where it is.

And I hope it turns out to be a complete waste of time and money.

Last edited:
When you get cut and you decide not to see a Doc.
Please be sure to clean the wound very well.
You may survive the injury but loose the limb on account of the gangrene. Couple of those patients...

A tourniquet is a good idea. Better than celox for extremity injuries, and doesn't expire.

Is your fire extinguisher charged and adequate in size? Do you know how to use it?

Prevention remains the best intervention.
That includes safe electrical wiring, proper lifting technique, not putting your hands where you can't see (especially if it might still be moving!). Common sense should prevail. Don't be lulled by "I've done this before...." We are approaching winter. Get your furnaces checked. Be careful about CO. Heat your shop well enough that you don't need to wear longs sleeves while working with rotating spindles. Don't wear gloves. Keep your exits clear (is there enough space for me to carry you out?). Is there easy access to your electrical panel, and your gas shut off? Are they clear of machinery and combustibles. If you take meds or have allergies is there a list in your pocket? Is it updated? Does it include your demographics? If you have a drug or alcohol addiction, then please write it down on the card. It helps me help you, then I don't have to guess (I don't know the legal implications). Enough!!!

Oh, one more... and please make sure your house has an address visible regardless of which direction the ambulance is coming from. The reverse gear works on all my ambulances, but...

Sorry for the babble....

Daryl
MN

Back