Parting Tool Holder

I have both Aloris and chicom holders, the Aloris is worth the extra cost. Also, some of the cutoff blade holders have centering grooves that hold the blade without tilting. My Phase II holder doesn't.

I have both Aloris and chicom holders, the Aloris is worth the extra cost. Also, some of the cutoff blade holders have centering grooves that hold the blade without tilting. My Phase II holder doesn't.

Which holders have the centering groves? Mine is a Phase II as well.

Couldn't you just machine a small slot along the top of the cutoff blade holding surface on the tool holder (that way you would not have to use a shim to keep the "T" type blade flat)?

I just checked my Phase II holder and surprised to find the t-blade is sitting there at a cattywompus angle, nob much of an angle but an angle never the less. I see that the back side of the blade is worn from contact with the parts IOve been cutting off. Hasn't seemed to be a big problem, but...
I'll have to try the spacing shim and see if that helps out. Thanks.

Couldn't you just machine a small slot along the top of the cutoff blade holding surface on the tool holder (that way you would not have to use a shim to keep the "T" type blade flat)?

If I had a milling machine, that might be an option...

The real issue, at least on my Phase II BXA holder, seems to be that the bottom of the blade is unsupported on both sides and moves, leaving the blade not vertical. A shallow slot at the bottom of the blade recess might be better, and shimming the bottom on the inside might help best without modifying the holder. There is not enough room to mill a slot at the top clamp, my T shaped blade fills the available width.

Back