Parting Woes Solution?

savarin

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just saw this (pun intended) and thought it may be of use to those who have problems parting.
I rather liked it.
I couldnt think where to post this so please move if necessary.

I think it's pretty damn ingenious, considering how much trouble beginners (like me) have with parting off!

well yes, from what I see it looks pretty safe and it even has adjustable cutting pressure! (smiley face here)...so ifn' one doesn't have a good parting/cuttoff tool and holder and/or doesn't have the speeds and feeds down for cutin' off...why not this!

My success with a parting too greatly increased when I switched from the old lantern toolpost to a QCTP and parting tool holder. But there are still time when I just need to saw something off and use a hand held hack saw. For small pieces, this is pretty clever, simple and effective little tool. I like it.

Sometimes when parting off in the lathe using carbide tooling, I'll stop the part off so it leaves a nub about 3/16" in diameter. Next I'll take my hacksaw, part it the rest of the way off with the lathe running. Haven't tried it at full diameter.

My 14” lathe is big enough, ridged enough and powerful enough to part without the typical problems. It’s those Murphy ones that I worry about. I will usually take my project out of the lathe and over to the power bandsaw cut-off instead of risking a blade catching or compound breaking or soiling my underwear or some other bad thing…Dave.

Intrigued with the idea, I went out to the shop after dinner and cobbled one together from scrap I had laying around. Pretty easy to make. It seems to work pretty well, but needs a stronger spring than I have to replicate the downward pressure sawing by hand gives.

Saw2_zpsbftzfcea.jpg

Saw1_zps36azgfc0.jpg

Saw2_zpsbftzfcea.jpg

Saw1_zps36azgfc0.jpg

Saw2_zpsbftzfcea.jpg

Saw1_zps36azgfc0.jpg

Saw2_zpsbftzfcea.jpg

Saw1_zps36azgfc0.jpg

Saw2_zpsbftzfcea.jpg

Saw1_zps36azgfc0.jpg

Saw2_zpsbftzfcea.jpg

Saw1_zps36azgfc0.jpg