Parting Woes Solution?

...looks like this op/set up is catching on!...I wonder if the original got a patent? (We better lawyer up!)...smiley face here

If your spindle has the chuck screwed on I would suggest you do NOT try this. The original has the spindle running in reverse. The teeth on the blade set to cut that way. One snag of the blade and you could wear the chuck.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
My set up has the spindle turning normally and the saw is arranged so the teeth cut properly. But good point about a chuck unscrewing if going the other way.

I saw that the second was correct and only the original was going the wrong way. Kudos for the build on yours.

"Billy G"

ndnchf,
may I ask which way the saw teeth were facing?
how often did you have to lift the blade to clear chips? or do you just crank the slide back and forth a bit while it is sawing to clear them?

If your spindle has the chuck screwed on I would suggest you do NOT try this. The original has the spindle running in reverse. The teeth on the blade set to cut that way. One snag of the blade and you wear the chuck.

"Billy G"
If you can release a threaded spindle with a hacksaw blade you are a better man then I am. I once owned a threaded spindle machine and unscrewing the chuck took considerable effort if it had been in use for several months or years.

With all due respect Wreck, read on please.If that blade jams or bends the teeth will jam or bind. If they jam the spindle could come loose.

FWIW, I have a spacer washer on my spindle between it and the chuck. This makes for easy removal of the chuck after long periods of use. A set up like the first one with the spindle running in reverse will have the chuck loosen and come off if that blade jams.

I leave you with this phrase, "Just because you haven't seen something happen, does not mean it can't happen.

"Billy G"

With all due respect Wreck, read on please.If that blade jams or bends the teeth will jam or bind. If they jam the spindle could come loose.

FWIW, I have a spacer washer on my spindle between it and the chuck. This makes for easy removal of the chuck after long periods of use. A set up like the first one with the spindle running in reverse will have the chuck loosen and come off if that blade jams.

I leave you with this phrase, "Just because you haven't seen something happen, does not mean it can't happen.

"Billy G"
I have actually spun a 20" 4 jaw chuck off of a threaded spindle, I fully understand the outcome of such a thing happening.

However in my initial post I was wondering if one may actually unseat a threaded spindle with a hacksaw blade and a spring.

Back