Phase Ii Wedge Quick Change Tool Post Qctp Question

Buggy Chief

Registered
Registered
Anyone have any issues being able to use the front tool post? I just bought one and the handle swings too far to the front and impedes putting a tool on as it needs to swing that far for the wedge to open up to accept tool.

Called Phase ii and no help at all....Thanks in advance!!

This is due to the fit of the holder dovetail to the tool post dovetail. The tighter the fit the worse the condition is. Are they Phase II holders? I have compared a half a dozed different brands and found the import holders to vary in fit so sometimes it is the luck of the draw.

It would be interesting to compare the size of the dovetail on the tool post at the 3 o'clock position of the various brands.

Is your QCTP new or used?
If it is used and was disassembled for cleaning, it might not have been reassembled properly.
With nothing on the tool post can the handle rotate completely around 360 degrees?

Last edited:
Not quite sure what your configuration is. The "normal" setup is with one set of dovetails to the left (9:00) and the other dovetails forward (12:00.) In that configuration the handle should ideally tighten down at about 4:30. If it does not, then the unit can be taken apart and shimmed or trimmed in thickness to change the clock position where the handle stops. It may even be adjustable, not sure. My Phase II BXA post was perfect out of the box, after I figured out that one set of dovetails should be fit facing forward, the other left. YMMV. I have seen people add a new hole for the handle, but that is NOT necessary.

My Phase II CXA was perfect, right out of the box. See comments above (needs to be clean, installed and assembled correctly). Is it just one holder, you can remove a very small amount from the flats on the back of the dove tail (i.e. abrasive paper on a sheet of glass)? If there is still an issue, on just the one face - perhaps you'd need to make a slight adjustment to one of the sliding tapered gibs (is it possible they got switched, one of them is off by one tooth?).

The manufacture can't predict how thick your compound is. The thickness of the piece that locks into the slot may need to be milled on the top a little. This will allow the handle to swing a little further back. I have a PhII AXA on my 12" Atlas. Both front and side dovetails work, but its close on the front one due to handle position. I need to shave a little off the block to get it where I want it, just haven't done it yet.

The compound does not come into the fit of the sliding wedges and the tool holder. That is all in the tool post block itself. The t-nut and stud go all the way through the tool post block, not interacting with anything until the nut on the top.

My Phase II is a piston type. I don't know about wedge type but this is where the handle settles when tight.

IMG_0074.JPG

I would make double sure that the tool post is assembled properly before doing any trimming or shimming.

Last edited:
I don't have a PhaseII but ran into the same problem when I first got my QCTP. IIRC, I just had to reposition the handle so that it released and locked the wedge at a different location. Unless Phase II is totally different than my cheap China knockoff you shouldn't have to file/sand or remove any metal. As some posted you may just need to take it apart, clean, relube and reassemble with the handle at a slightly different position on the clock.

The compound does not come into the fit of the sliding wedges and the tool holder. That is all in the tool post block itself. The t-nut and stud go all the way through the tool post block, not interacting with anything until the nut on the top.

Bob - you are correct, my mistake. I didn't think it all the way through before responding. Thanks

Back