Picked Up A Craftsman Drill Press Today

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Got this for $50 at a garage sale today. Do I need it, no. Is it way cool.............YES!!! :)

It's it great condition and has only one small mark on the table. Runs perfectly. Don't know too much about it yet, just got it home and out of the car and haven't had time to do much research on it. Although I did just find a PDF file of the operating instructions and parts list.

I'd like to restore it to new condition and the cleaning and painting the cast parts is easy, I have a bead blaster to use. I just don't know how to make the rusted parts like the column and chuck and motor look new.

From what I can see so far the only repair needed is a new cord, it's cracked and frayed and needs a 3 wire cord with a ground. Looks like it has the original chuck key and the vise that came with it when new. It has a nice 1/2" Jacobs chuck on it.

I looked at how the name plates and the wrap around trim plate are installed with the drive rivets and when they made it they drilled the holes through for the rivets. So it's a simple task of gently driving them out from behind.

Any suggestions on how to restore it would be greatly appreciated.

20150816_105834.jpg 20150816_144636.jpg 20150816_145005.jpg 20150816_145023.jpg 20150816_145308.jpg

Nice score! Evaporust, and scotchbright.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Thanks. I've never used Evaporust before. Seems Horrible Freight carries it.

Along with it I spent another $4 and got these.

12 files, a Ridgid pipe wrench, a rusted 12" cresent and an interesting Bonney wrench like I've never seen before.
The Bonney wrench has a 3/8" square drive on one end, and a 3/8" square hole on the other end. I can see a use for the square drive, but not the square hole. But it was cheap and cool so I got it.

He also had a huge Snap On tool box for $500 in perfect condition, but I just couldn't justify getting it. I did post a thread about it in the Craigslist finds if anyone near Portland is interested.

Funny, on the way home with it I told my girlfriend I now have a project for home. She said you need a home project? You work four 10's and you spend 2 days a week at Jim's (Jim Dawson) working on your mill, modify transmissions at home after work and you need a project for your only day off at home? I just laughed.

I don't sit still with nothing to do very well at all. She has never been with someone like me before :)

20150816_145442.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post some closeup pics of the Bonnie wrench. It looks interesting.
The secret to making the Evaporust last is complete degreasing. Any oil seems to make it less/non efective.
Keep us posted on the refurbe.

You gonna go back with factory colors or make it a mild custom?

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Last edited:
Not sure what color I'm going to go with. I saw one painted Rustoleum hammer tone gold and it looked great. Might go with that.

20150816_195934.jpg 20150816_195930.jpg 20150816_195937.jpg 20150816_195943.jpg 20150816_200030.jpg

Last edited:
Nice drill press. I am glad someone that truly appreciates it has got it!

Thanks for the pictures, I've never seen a wrench like that either, but now I want one in 1/4", 3/8' and 1/2".
I could see them being very useful for turning sockets in hard to reach areas......

-brino

I would guess that the Bonney wrench was made for some specific hard to get at automotive application.

That wrench looks like one my Dad has to get to distributor hold down bolts and/or for adjusting automotive valves.

I searched for info on it using the number off it and came up with nothing. It's definitely for some kind of special application.

I can use it to get the spark plugs out of my Camaro. I put headers it some years ago and it's a major pain to change the plugs.

Anyway I just was intrigued by it and for $.25 I couldn't pass it up. It's not like I have 4 top and bottom tool box's full of tools or anything like that and I need it.

Oh........ Wait a minute, I do have 4 full tool boxes :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you should have bought that extra tool box after all :)

Back