Picked up a new Logan 2557V

M

Mister Ed

Forum Guest
Register Today
I've been looking for something to replace my trusty 200 for a while. Something with a bigger spindle and bigger dials. I was really thinking Clausing 5900 series ... until I stumbled onto a, very nice sounding, Logan 2557V that was listed on Practical Machinist.
Here are some excerpts from the add:
  • Bed reground
  • Spindle reconditioned, worn surfaces spray metallized and ground
  • Spindle bearing cleaned and lubricated
  • Cross slide, saddle and compound rescraped
  • Cleaned and replaced worn gears in the apron
  • Replaced twin gears and related gears in drive train
  • Rebuilt transmission, replaced ball bearing, machined sheaves, shaft and installed new sheave bearings, new swing arms.
  • Cleaned motor and replaced bearings
Needless to say the above should pique anyone's interest. So with a fist full of money and a drop deck trailer in tow, I took a drive over to the far west Chicago 'burbs yesterday to take a look (prepared to haul it back, if I wanted it).

Well the lathe pretty much was what he said it was. The older gentleman (and that's coming from me who is 57) apparently picks older lathes from time to time and rebuilds them to keep himself busy. Its not like he needed another, he had 3 or 4 set up ready to run in his basement shop (along with about everything else to make anything he wanted). There are a few minor nit pick things that I need to change, but overall it is what he said. Below are some pics to try and give you a little taste of what it looks like.
IMG_5359.JPG
A couple shots trying to show the newly ground ways:
IMG_5356.JPG

IMG_5358.JPG
OMG!!! What is this thing??
IMG_5360.JPG
I think I will need to get a reverse magnifying glass!!! These things are too big!! :D
IMG_5361.JPG

Last edited:
OMGosh. Always wanted a 2557. Care to tell us how much $? For that kind of quality work, I'd almost go and buy a house in his neighborhood!
Mark S.
ps wow, when you say "new to me" it's literally true with that one. :D

Last edited:
Asking price was $1800 over on Practical Machinist, I paid a little less. Chicago has been good to me (other than the traffic getting there and back), last time it was a $200 South Bend shaper, rebuilt, with stand and a plethora of tooling ... the thing was even crated up in a wood crate for storage.

I'm not sure I needed the collet closer, but once I get some collets and start using it ... I think I will like it in certain situations. There is also a Buck Adjust Tru chuck ... maybe 5". Lots of bits and pieces to pick up to make the switch to this lathe. Its a different spindle than my old lathe (1.5x8 vs 2.25x8) so I need to figure out what to do with chucks, drive plates, etc. I don't care for the 4 position tool post, so that needs replaced. Need to buy or make a spindle adapter to #2 or #3 MT. Need a VFD for the 3 phase (its already on its way).

Anyone out there run an AXA (100) sized QCTP on a Logan 12"? I'm thinking a Logan 12" would probably OK on either AXA or BXA. IF so I will use my old AXA on this lathe ... I already have prolly 12 tool holders.

Heck for that matter, anyone know how well a Dumore Series 11 tool post grinder will fit on the 12"?

Congrats on the new lathe! Looks like you got a great deal.

By the way, here's what JR49 said about his 12" Logan:

"My 12" logan measures just under 1" from top of compound to center line of spindle. I've been told that Logans have a tall compound, hence the short distance. I got an AXA and am glad I did."

Last edited:
I would agree that it looks like you need an AXA for it.

Yep, the AXA sized QCTP actually fits the 12" lathe better than the 10". I used to nearly run out of room (downward) on the 10" (I like to use a big tool bit), on the 12" I am up off the compound rest by about 1/2". Based on that, the little Dumore grinder should be a decent fit as well.

Sure would be a shame to use a tool post grinder on that lathe. Perhaps you can keep the 200 for those times you want to grind.

That is a thought Chuck. But to be honest, I think I have used that TP grinder a total of two times over the last 5 or so years. I probably ought to sell that too.

I have one gathering dust also. Turning cast iron is just about as bad and I find myself doing that fairly often.

Back