Picked up my first bandsaw- Problems already

billsnogo

Active User
Registered
I just picked up a rong-fu RF-115 4x6 bandsaw today for $50. Guy was nice, I did a test cut and even though it did not cut quite straight, it cut through 2" solid round 6061. Brought it home and tried three times, and all three times the blade binded and stalled the motor.

I am brand new to horizontal band saws, and have no idea where to start to get it to work, and cut straight. Does anyone have a manual for this machine?

thank you to anyone who can help :)

bandsaw.jpg

I just picked up a rong-fu RF-115 4x6 bandsaw today for $50. Guy was nice, I did a test cut and even though it did not cut quite straight, it cut through 2" solid round 6061. Brought it home and tried three times, and all three times the blade binded and stalled the motor.

I am brand new to horizontal band saws, and have no idea where to start to get it to work, and cut straight. Does anyone have a manual for this machine?

thank you to anyone who can help :)

Assuming you were cutting a similar piece of stock, you were probably either running too slow, or had too much downforce on the workpiece.
You adjust the downforce with the horizontal spring.

Grizzly probably has the best manual for these bandsaws: http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0622_m.pdf

M

Edit: Looks like someone has replaced the motor with a bigger one (good thing), and left off the belt guard (bad thing).

Assuming you were cutting a similar piece of stock, you were probably either running too slow, or had too much downforce on the workpiece.
You adjust the downforce with the horizontal spring.

Grizzly probably has the best manual for these bandsaws: http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0622_m.pdf

M

Edit: Looks like someone has replaced the motor with a bigger one (good thing), and left off the belt guard (bad thing).

You are correct, the motor is a 3/4hp motor. I will try and adjust the speed and tension

I've never stalled the motor on mine. Maybe it would be beneficial take the blade and belt off and see if there is some friction in the gearbox that shouldn't be there.

When the blade starts to wear out, it cuts crooked because the teeth always wear more on one side than he other.

Try a new blade, preferably one with less teeth.

By the way, you got a good deal.

I will also try out a new blade. Hopefully I can get this working for me.

thanks guys

Last edited:
Bill,
There is a 4X6 group on Yahoo that has an excelent tune and true procedure for the RF style bandsaws. It takes about an hour to do and really makes a huge difference in the usability of the saw. If you have any problem finding it PM me and I will ask that group if I can copy it and add it here with the appropriate credit to the author and site it came from. I did it to my HF saw and it made a world of difference. I can cut stright and about as thin as a quarter with no misalignment or issues. Hope this helps get you straightened out and cutting good again.
Bob

That's a good little find. Every time I look for a used bandsaw, I can't find one or the ones I find are priced higher than the new ones. I know I'll probably just buy a new one from HF but prefer an older one. Good luck with your saw; you may not have to worry about hacksaw elbow for quite a long time.

First - that buy just about rates a gloat - good score, youre gonna love that thing...

Probably more than one factor involved here with the binding -

The blades origin/condition is an unknown to you, plan on replacing it soon with a bi-metal in something like a 10-14tpi (thats a pretty good general purpose tpi for the home shop)

Aluminum can be problematic - it can want to 'clog' the blade teeth and cause binding (back to condition of blade??)

The saw does probably need a check for alignment -- do get over to the yahoo group and check in - along with alignment tips there are lots of mods that are well worth doing.

I did a quick check of my pics and found this one of a simple method of helping align the blade to the bed of the saw (critical for a straight cut) The two 3 bearing guides will have a little bit of slack/looseness in them to allow aligning of the blade with a square - the little piece of metal clamped to the blade gives more area for the square to align with and allowing easier adjusting.

You can also see a couple of my mods in this pic - I extended the rear vise jaw to get it closer to the blade allowing smaller pieces to be clamped closer to the blade. Also added a 'permanent' small table that I can leave on all the time, and the piece of box aluminum for table extension...

Great shop tool - that little saw (For the sharp eyed, thats is one of the 'swivel' saws, but much of it is like the 4x6)

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

Thank you all. Late response as I had not needed to use it again until today. I cut a piece of 4" round 6061, and it cut pretty good. The max difference is 1/8", and even that is being pessimistic. The previous owner used wax to lubricate the blade and it clogged up the guides REAL bad. Cleaned them, new blade and it seems much better.

Only complaint is when you get the guides as close to the workpiece as possible, they prevent the blade from dropping all they way so it will not cut all the way through without stopping and adjusting the guides back.

Now I am waiting for the 4" four jaw chuck for the mini-lathe to come in the mail and see how hard it is to turn this 4" down to 3.5 for an adapter for my encoder on my servos.

With a few tweaks, that little saw will soon be some of the best money you can spend on tools! As mentioned before, please check out Yahoo's 4 x 6 Band Saw Group files as there is a wealth of data on there. Also, in case you have not already checked, pull the cover on the gear box and check the oil. Many have found unsuitable gunk in their saws gear boxes straight from the factory and it is very easy to drain, wash/clean, and refill with a high quality gear oil. Also check the main blade wheels for roundness and make sure you have proper tension on a quality blade before you adjust the guide wheels!

Good Luck!

I picked one up a few weeks ago and don't know how I have been getting along without it. I used it all the time. The only problem I have had so far is the blade coming off. I did some adjustments and slowed the feed rate and hopefully this will not continue. Enjoy, and join the Yahoo group.

The belt on the pulleys is set to go the fastest speed. try slowing down the blade speed.
John

Back