• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Pictures of things made in Home Shop CNC

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cs900

maker of chips
Was that easy to cut? I assume a carbide end mill?
It actually wasn't too bad. Yes I used carbide, but it chewed thru it with very little issues. The face mill was really the only thing that gave me pause. The top was absolutely work hardened and was pretty tough so it was a bit slow going.

Poppey

Iron
Registered Member
Here with the NEMA 34 stepper motor, control panel and spindel motor VFD
Now it´s up running. Automatic Tool Change are filled up with tools and works well. Had to play around with it a bit but now with the right springs it´s perfect.

Attachments

cs900

maker of chips
very cool. I know I'm not the only one who would love a video of it in action.

Metal

That is awesome. Please keep sharing pictures and progress.
Are you a regular in Robot competitions?
Yeah, a little bit, I'm hoping post-winter to have all the tools and everything in place to not miss another fight :)

The idea of this one is the frame is welded 1/4" ar400 which is super overkill, and its very compact, there's a number of modular attachment points on the front and top of the frame to put all kinds of different weapons and stuff
ex: The "tank" setup has over 1/2 of its weight in armor (1/4" ar400 wedge on the front and over 2" of armor on the sides and back)

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I think I would like to try my hand at Robot Competitions but have not run across any in the Austin Tx area. Plus a little intimidated by the probable cost to build then repair/maintain

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
3D tool path FAIL

This is a test of a 3D tool path to make a crimping die for a project. On the final finishing pass something failed and the machine went crazy. No harm done because we were testing in UHMW. Glad it wasn't tool steel. :cautious: Still trying to figure out what the problem is. Wading through 41,000 lines of code is a bit of a chore, but I know it's in the last few thousand lines. :confused 3:

MontanaAardvark

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Nobody writes 41,000 line Gcode files by hand, right?, so whatever it was that wrote the code barfed it up.

It might be good to run the Gcode in a software previewer to see if it simulates as bad. If it doesn't simulate as bad, it might be an electrical noise spike or something confused the machine. You could do a second piece if you have the plastic to test it on. See if it goes crazy at the same spot.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
Nobody writes 41,000 line Gcode files by hand, right?, so whatever it was that wrote the code barfed it up.

It might be good to run the Gcode in a software previewer to see if it simulates as bad. If it doesn't simulate as bad, it might be an electrical noise spike or something confused the machine. You could do a second piece if you have the plastic to test it on. See if it goes crazy at the same spot.
I found the problem, it was a botched setting in the post processor setup. This is the first 3D part we've tried, so it showed a bit issue in the software, it didn't like the YZ arc move. That will get fixed as soon as I have time. Just ran a couple of perfect parts, I'll post pictures later.

MontanaAardvark

I notice that the first one had a little notch in either side, right in the middle at the low point of the concave shape, and this one is straight in the same places.

Just a coincidence or part of the problem?

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Director
I notice that the first one had a little notch in either side, right in the middle at the low point of the concave shape, and this one is straight in the same places.

Just a coincidence or part of the problem?
I'm not sure. I think that was part of the original problem. We need to do a lot more testing on some different parts to find other anomalies. At the same time we are learning how to setup 3D parts in Fusion 360. Next is full 4 axis profiling :)

MontanaAardvark

Very cool! I especially love the T-slot table. Those are sort of disposable and being able to make more is always a good thing.

Can I ask if the AR lower is from a forging, an 80% or what?

shooter123456

Very cool! I especially love the T-slot table. Those are sort of disposable and being able to make more is always a good thing.

Can I ask if the AR lower is from a forging, an 80% or what?
That was the goal with the table. I can pop the slots out and put something else on there, or if it is damaged, nicked, etc, I can just stick it on the mill and reflatten it.

The lower is billet from a solid block.

Here is a few more pictures of that.
wed6xsr.jpg

JyGIzUI.jpg

tmhwySs.jpg

iHmGzPI.jpg

MontanaAardvark

That was the goal with the table. I can pop the slots out and put something else on there, or if it is damaged, nicked, etc, I can just stick it on the mill and reflatten it.

The lower is billet from a solid block.

Here is a few more pictures of that.
View attachment 247128

View attachment 247129

View attachment 247130

View attachment 247131
Again, super cool!

An AR lower from solid billet is on my "one of these days" list, but I have two "0% forgings" to play with. I've already done one from an 80% lower.

JerryK

I’ve been retired for 11 years and work
on these hobby projects almost every day. I actually ran
out of room and gave away many to family members.
Well anyway, here’s another one. A 3 cylinder radial
with a 8” brass propeller I bought off eBay

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]