Pinch Clamps

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am in the design stage of a 4 way tool holder that will fit on the post of my Norman Style QCTP. I would like to use a pinch nut to lock the holder to the post. What little I know about pinch nuts comes from Baronj's posts in my thread on making my QCTP and the first batch of tool holders. The pinch nut pictures and drawings he posted have a threaded shaft going all the way through with a nut on each end to tighten the pinch nut. My preliminary design doesn't allow me to do that. What I would like to do is use a 3/8 bolt that goes through the pinch nut then screws into the holder. I will try to come up with a drawing that shows this.

Will this work?

I just looked up BaronJ. If this is what you were talking about I was way off. I would have never guessed that by "pinch nut". Clamp is what came to my mind. Interesting design, I've never seen it before.

QCTP-a01.jpg

I am in the design stage of a 4 way tool holder that will fit on the post of my Norman Style QCTP. I would like to use a pinch nut to lock the holder to the post. What little I know about pinch nuts comes from Baronj's posts in my thread on making my QCTP and the first batch of tool holders. The pinch nut pictures and drawings he posted have a threaded shaft going all the way through with a nut on each end to tighten the pinch nut. My preliminary design doesn't allow me to do that. What I would like to do is use a 3/8 bolt that goes through the pinch nut then screws into the holder. I will try to come up with a drawing that shows this.

Will this work?

I need a graphic to understand what you're trying to do and to answer your question.

Here is a drawing.

4 way 002 001.jpg

4 way 002 002.jpg
I didn't draw in the bolt. In the first image you can see the 5/8" pinch clamp with a 5/16" hole through it for the bolt. The pinch clamp extends 2" into the holder. In the second image you can see the threaded hole for the bolt. When you tighten the bolt two things happen. The pinch clamp is forced against the end of its hole and the two pieces of the clamp are forced together to lock on the center post. I can make the pinch clamp a little bigger but the bolt can't be any bigger than 5/16.

The four tool bits that I am thinking for this are a parting tool, threading tool, general turning tool, and a facing tool. I would use the threading tool for chamfering beside threading. Those four tool bits cover the vast majority of external turning that I do on my lathe. If this works I will make something similar for internal threading and boring.

Is it possible to change the title of this thread to Pinch Clamps?

Back