Pinch Clamps

Will , we use the single slot threaded collars to lock in our mandrals on our slitting machines . Never had one fail . :encourage:

I used a couple of the unthreaded ones as stops for the handle on my old Enco 4x6. The handle used to slip on the sheet metal base when moving it around & would often bust my knuckles. I hated that so much! Came up with the idea to try these as a quick solution & it worked perfectly.

Attachments

• Img_7013.jpg
    Img_7013.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Img_6994.jpg
    Img_6994.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 13
I had to use one 25 years ago when my son closed the dampener on the woodstove and filled the house with smoke . :cussing: I made sure it would never close again . :grin:

I could weld one half of the clamp to the top of the holder with the other half being tightened against the post. The set screws to hold the tool bits in place would need to come up from the bottom rather than down from the top based on the size of the McMaster Carr clamps. In looking at the ones on McMaster Carr they have one with a quick release lever. https://www.mcmaster.com/split-shaf...ollars/?SrchEntryWebPart_InpBox=thread+collar That would be very handy if it would be tight enough to hold the tool holder in place on the post.

4 way 003 01.jpg

@mickri Hey Chuck,

Is that the same mechanism that Guy Lautard calls the split cotter?

This picture is from his "The Machinist Bedside Reader 1", page 93.

1618247750087.png

I have seen it used in my Delta/Rockwell model 40-440 scroll saw.
Actually my saw was missing a piece when I bought it.
I made the brass half-clamp shown below (the nut sits in a hex recess in the brass).
split_cotter_parts.jpg

That clamp holds the upper blade guide shown here:
saw_upper.jpg

Here's a manual for that:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=13980

1618248917163.png

1618248969405.png

Note they only call them left and right "Lock Sleeve".

If this is the same thing that you are thinking about, then I have been wondering the same thing!
Can you basically use a clamp that is half the above mechanism to securely hold a shaft that passes thru a block?
It would look like the above, but have my brass half as part of the original block.

Is that what you're thinking?

-brino

Guy Lautard's split collar is exactly what I am thinking. These typically have a nut on both ends like your delta scroll saw. I can't have a nut on both ends because one of the nuts will interfere with the tool bit on that side.

I am thinking of using a split collar like darkzero posted. Weld one half of the collar to the top of the tool holder and use the other half to clamp against the post.

I have time to think about this. I am going full bore on refreshing the engine out of my MG Midget. I want to drive it this summer and I have to get the engine squared away to do that. Everything else is getting put on the back burner until the engine is done and back in the car..

Back