Pirates! - Why the US doesn't use the metric system.

in 1969 NASA put Neil Armstrong on the moon and brought him safely back to earth using the INCH system!!!

Not true, all the navigation was effectively done in metric. Had it been done in inches, the result would have been the same, of course, but with a lot more (error prone) conversion factors.

From https://www.doneyles.com/LM/Tales.html:

"With respect to units, the LGC was eclectic. Inside the computer we used metric units, at least in the case of powered-flight navigation and guidance. At the operational level NASA, and especially the astronauts, preferred English units. This meant that before being displayed, altitude and altitude-rate (for example) were calculated from the metric state vector maintained by navigation, and then were converted to feet and ft/sec."

I'm not old enough , I'm 68, to remember when a 2x4 was 2" x 4" . They say it was before planeing. I don't know about that,we cut as close to 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" as we could, when I worked in a sawmill. I do remember 1 5/8" x 3 5/8" . In fact I'm able to get something of a date on a shop built shaper by it's 2x4 and angle iron stand.

2 x 4 boards were once rough cut 2" by 4". They were brought to finished size from there. I have measured old stock 2" boards that were finished at 1 3/4", five decades ago. Later, I saw 1 5/8", and now 1 1/2" on a good day, with green wood. None of those numbers were exact, and no two boards seem to dry to exactly the same size even if they were cut to identical sizes. What you measure is what you have. Work with it!

Quite an interesting and humorous thread ,I live in Thailand and have found that most machining products are in metric Taps, dies, hand tools , Lathes Mills etc ,However were I buy my material for machining and fabrication shaft flat bar etc etc are all imperial sizes and it mostly comes from China ,So if you want to reem out a hole to take a 10 mm pin you have to buy 7/16 material and turn it down and your good to go as to buy a 10mm reemer is a piece of cake but to buy a imperial reemer is difficult .Its a pain at times

Read through this whole thread swinging back and forth between amusement and cringing. I was going a bit nuts after seeing mention of the dimensional lumber sizes in the customary system and it was only just short of the last post when we finally got near the actual reason for the absurd sizes the lumber is marked vs the size it actually is when purchase.

I dislike the metric system, but use what system needed to get the job done.
as for the " building materials , when was the last time you measured a "2x4" ? it hasnt been a 2x4 for a long time , also a sheet of 1/2" plywood is no longer 1/2" thick its sized metric in thickness only the 4x8 still applys so like it or not the metrics are sneaking up on us!
I'm not old enough , I'm 68, to remember when a 2x4 was 2" x 4" . They say it was before planeing. I don't know about that,we cut as close to 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" as we could, when I worked in a sawmill. I do remember 1 5/8" x 3 5/8" . In fact I'm able to get something of a date on a shop built shaper by it's 2x4 and angle iron stand.

These left me going a bit nuts. I may have looked into woodworking a biiiiit too much for it to be healthy...

2 x 4 boards were once rough cut 2" by 4". They were brought to finished size from there. I have measured old stock 2" boards that were finished at 1 3/4", five decades ago. Later, I saw 1 5/8", and now 1 1/2" on a good day, with green wood. None of those numbers were exact, and no two boards seem to dry to exactly the same size even if they were cut to identical sizes. What you measure is what you have. Work with it!

Thankfully Bob saved what little sanity I came here with. ;)

Rough cut at the size it's marked in the store, but finishing work and drying shrink them down at a relatively predictable rate. However, Downwind2 is right in that the sizes have gotten smaller for the post-processed, post-dried state, but only when it's green is it the actual nominal size. Traditional Japanese length measurements, still used for some of their current construction, and definitely used for all of their temple maintenance, is almost as insane as our customary measurement system. The base unit is the Shaku. For smaller units, it's fine where you divide by ten for each smaller unit, but going the other way ... next size up is 6 shaku, after that, the next unit is 10 shaku, after that is 360, and after that is 12,960 ...

The customary system drives me nuts, but at least we're not measuring things as stones, chains, or butts for the most part. Although you can still ask someone how many furlongs to the hogshead their car gets ... although I'm not sure if that volume would be that used for claret, port, sherry, madeira, or beer, as they are all different... So uh, it could be worse, I guess...

Last edited:
I live in a 100+year old house. A 2 x 4 measures 1-5/8" x 3-1/2", a 2 x 8 measures 1-5/8" x 7-1/2", and a 4 x 4 measures 3-1/2" x 3-1/2". 1" boards measure around 7/8" in thickness. There is a strong likelihood that the lumber was purchased from Sears & Roebuck as there is a persistent rumor that the house was a Sears & Roebuck house (I had met the builder of the house and he was the father of the person that I bought the property from).

The barn was built in 1906 and is of post and beam construction with 4 x 4's measuring 3-3/4" x 3-3/4". The granary is most likely 19th century and also of post and beam construction with rough cut lumber cut with a circular saw rather than band saw and measuring the full 2" x 4" and 4" x 4". Square cut nails were used in its construction

Other construction lumber on the property measures 1-3/4" x 3-3/4" but is obviously reclaimed from old nail holes and the stripes from lath and plaster so no way of positively dating it.

I recall 1-9/16" x 3-1/2" 2x4's when I first started remodeling in the 1960's.

Old post with a very interesting Old Pirate story that had a direct effect on this little hobby we share, how cool is that!

Back