Planer on CL

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This came up locally a couple of weekends ago. It was "too"(too much $$, too big, too much work). He wanted $2,000 and it would have needed a motor as it came off a line drive. By the time I got back in the afternoon, it was gone. image.jpeg

This came up locally a couple of weekends ago. It was "too"(too much $$, too big, too much work). He wanted $2,000 and it would have needed a motor as it came off a line drive. By the time I got back in the afternoon, it was gone. View attachment 247535
YUPP with rarity comes price . And if snoozie you loozie.

Not necessarily around here. Granted, a planer is pretty rare, but few know what they are and fewer would have a use. It probably got snapped up by a collector. Like I mentioned it was a curiosity as I have no real need. I thought if it hung around I might post it with the link, but it was gone pretty quick which surprised me. I only posted this pic because somehow I saved the pic from the ad and bumbled across while looking for other pics

There seems to be little rhyme or reason for prices. Some are crazy blow out prices like my Atlas 7b for $125. But other obviously worn out "vintage" machine tools with paint jobs or relatives getting inflated prices off eBay are sky high.

Or someone who sells "lawn art", or someone wanting to hack it up for steampunk trinkets...

Or turning it into a CNC router......

You know, the part of me that loves history and loves good stories always wonders what these used machine tools I end up with would say? Who knows what happened with that planer, or how it even came to be there? I was very surprised to see one locally.

I can only deduce from the various weird things I find when making my machines operate correctly that there was certainly several different owners doing their dubious "repairs", meanwhile leaving other things in disrepair. It's almost an archeological dig with layers of mod's and repairs mixed in with wear and tear.

Back