Pm 1228-vf-lb Lathe Preparations

If only it was true that D1-4 backplates were easily obtained in Au at least at reasonable cost. I would like to mount an ER collet chuck on my new lathe because the Chinese 3J is not of the highest quality/concentricity. I will probably have to import a backplate with exorbitant shipping cost
Ron

Hi Franko

Do you have a picture of the 1228. I saw that you listed the specs in another post but have not seen what it looks like. Somebody suggested it was a Sieg SC10. Do you know if that is true?
Ron

I don't know if that is true, Ron. Here is a pic of it.

PM 1228-VF-LB lr.jpg
PM1228-VF-LB head.jpg

The 1228 is almost certainly a rebadged repainted Sieg SC10. Siegs are normally red see http://www.siegind.com/products_detail/&productId=33.html.

They seem to be reasonably good machines. I like my SC4 ( except for two design features). When fully set up it cuts quite accurately.

Its interesting that PM thinks they are good enough to sell under his brand. That is very encouraging. Wonder if he intends to sell other models?

I was very tempted to by the SC10. It was a good size and had the major features I wanted. The only reason I didnt was that I thought that the accesories supplied with the SC10 were a bit light, (one chuck, no stand, steadies etc) and that the Runmaster was a lot more machine and accesories for not much more money.

I am sure you will love the SC10 when it arrives. Have fun making lots of chips. Your picture shows it on a stand. Does the PM machine come with the stand? Here in Au there is no stand or chip tray provided hence my comments about value above.
Ron

Most of Matt's machines (PM), are custom made for Matt and QMT... Matt is a machinist and tells the factory how he wants them made.
Generally Matt adds some features to make them a good deal...
And then there is the 3 year warranty...

It does look like the same basic lathe. The only difference I can see is the control pad. I was looking at SC8 earlier that DRO Pros were selling. It didn't come with a lot of accessories, such as steady and follow rests. It looks like that is the case with the SC10, too.

The SC10 is a little more expensive, comes with less accessories and isn't available in the US. And, it's red. Ugh. :)

Franko that is a little unkind, mine is BIG and RED! I like to think that Red is the new mans colour.:laughing:

heh. I have a thing about red. Maybe I should see a psychologist.

My first car, a '64 VW bug was red. After a couple years it started annoying me, so I had it painted black. Big mistake. From then on, it was a red car with black paint on the big parts.

I got it painted after I backed it under a barbed wire fence, right between the fence posts. I could see wire in both the front and rear windows stretched tight over the roof. It sounded like I was scraping along a thorn bush (mesquite tree) or I would have stopped sooner.

It wasn't my fault. I was parked out in the country and the windows were fogged up. My brain was experiencing a temporary shortage of blood and reason.

I just ordered one of these (PM1228) as well. It looks like Matt is sending the same two photos out to everyone, lol. I was told, as well, that a threading dial would be present, but I'm actually kind of curious to see how that works, exactly, with the power feed knob being on the side of the box and all. Kind of a funky apron layout, actually. Some very cursory research on the SC8 (almost no info on the SC10) suggested a dial on the left side of the apron? What's up with that?

The SIEG SC10 page has a low-res picture that appears to show a 1.5" cubish object in about the right place behind the power feed knob pivot, which I suppose might be a small dial wheel, but the description also says "Cutting all thread pitchs only adjust the gear box handles, no more need changing gears" which is obviously not quite the whole truth, so...

(can't post links yet, obviously, so bear with me on the SIEG page ;))

I went for the PM1127 initially, but like several others it seems, I opted for the beefier machine, sooner. We're always told to buy as much lathe as we can afford, and I have to think a 2HP 12x28 is about the limit of what my single GFCI outlet can afford. Anyone else surprised that the new motor gets another 1/2 HP from a scant one or two more amps at the wall? I guess DC brushless setups are just that much more efficient?

TCB

Back