Pm 12x36 Base Dimensions???

Muskt

Home Shop Tinkerer
Registered
Could someone please post the dimensions of the base cabinets for the 12x36 plus the distance between the cabinets. I plan to construct my own slightly elevated base and have not even received shipping data yet for the lathe. I have the print for the base that is posted on this forum (however, I cannot locate the thread--the search feature is either very poor, or I am too stupid to successfully use it).

Anyway, I am planning a rectangle under each base cabinet plus two connecting tubes. This might be overkill; however, since I haven't been able to do any shop work since last July, I feel the need to build something--and soon!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Jerry

PS: Drywall guy expected here any time to complete the mudding on the new shop. Pics will follow after completion and paint--then I will need to fab window trim and the sliding door between the shop and the other bay. Man, I'm getting excited.

I am planning a rectangle under each base cabinet plus two connecting tubes

Some caution when tying the two bases together like that. I've known people with the very same lathe who did this & were not able to properly level the lathe (remove bed twist) because their riser base was too stiff. You could always shim if you run into that though. The cabinets aren't made to precision so it may be a trial an error process even if you try to be precise about making the riser.

I recommend making your riser when you have the lathe in hand. There is room for adjustment for mounting the lathe on the cabinets so going off the measurements for someone else's setup might not be that accurate.

Good info & thanks for the reply. I should have been a bit more in-depth when I first posted. My plan was to construct the two rectangles while awaiting the lathe. Then, it would be to quicker to drill and mount the cabinets on the rectangles. Lastly, I would cut and weld the connecting tubes. I plan to use steel in the approximate size of 1/8 to 3/16 thick. Should be adequate for the support, yet not so rigid as to prevent some movement for adjustment. Additionally, I located a metal supply facility near here which sells "surplus" (translated as "cut offs or leftovers" at good prices). So, by obtaining the dimensions, I can purchase what I need (plus a bit extra) without being short--Cutting down is easier than welding together to get long enough pieces.

Again, thanks for responding--I appreciate it.

Jerry

darkzero:
"I've known people with the very same lathe who did this & were not able to properly level the lathe (remove bed twist) because their riser base was too stiff."

Yep, that was the case with my base. The lathe is not heavy enough to flex the base. I shimmed it, though, no big deal.

I think this might be the thread you are thinking of:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/buying-a-new-lathe.10217/page-3

I waited, as darkzero suggests, till I had the machine before I constructed the base. The dimensions came out close but not identical to the one posted. They never seem to get the holes in exactly the same places.

The base has worked out well (after the shimming) and raises the machine to a more comfortable height.

Thanks again.

I'll post pics (and results) after I get it.

Jerry

Back